Menu

Boat Schooling article :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/13/opinion/sunday/growing-up-at-sea.html?hp&rref=opinion&_r=0

Traveling wasn’t just exciting. It was the only way I knew how to live. Glimpsing stretches of beach that looked untouched and thinking, “I want to go there,†then actually dropping anchor and going ashore, was wonderfully freeing. My correspondence school courses were completed on beaches, and sand always found its way into the pages of my book reports. Every science paper featured aquatic creatures we had observed that day. A trip to a St. Lucia rum distillery? Time to write a report on sugar fermentation and distillation.

Cabin fever would strike when land was out of sight for a few weeks. This was how I learned to love reading. When I ran out of stories, I turned to our collection of medical manuals (through the Hesperian Foundation’s “Where There Is No Doctor†I learned of some deeply unpleasant parasites).

Thanks for sharing. I lived on a boat for awhile. It was never far from shore. It was just our home, because boats were cheaper housing than homes on land. My birth country is very overcrowded and there isn't enough housing to go around, so people have taken to living on the surrounding waters.