Menu

help me figure out the differences among these calc courses

I'm looking at the new course catalog for a certain high school.  Here are the descriptions:

Calculus 

This course is an alternative to AP Calculus AB. It is the equivalent to a first-year Calculus course for a math or science major at most colleges. Topics include analytic geometry, limits, continuity, differentiation and integration of polynomials, rational, logarithmic, exponential, and trigonomic functions in a single variable, application to maximum and minimum problems, and volume of a solid revolution. Department approval required. Prerequisite: Pre-Calculus Honors Algebra 2/Trig. Graphing calculator required. 

AP Calculus AB 

This course is designed to prepare students for the Calculus (AB) advanced placement exam and provides a college level treatment of differential and integral calculus. Trigonometric, logarithmic and exponential functions are explored. Problem solving skills in areas of exponential growth, related rates and maximum/minimum problems will be explored. The AP exam is offered in the spring. 

AP Calculus BC 

This course is designed to prepare students for the Calculus (BC) advanced placement exam and provides a college level extension of AP Calculus AB. The course teaches broad concepts and widely applicable methods. Facility with manipulation and computational competence are important outcomes. Unifying the themes of derivatives, integrals, limits, approximation, application and modeling are emphasized. The AP exam is offered in the spring.

Originally, I assumed that the "Calculus" course would be categorized as easier/less-advanced than the AP sequence (AB and BC are each one whole year).  However, the phrase "equivalent to a first-year calculus course for a math or science major at most colleges" would seem to point toward it being more advanced than the AP sequence - or maybe just more advanced than AB?  Unfortunately the bookstore link is down right now, so I can't look up the text that is used in this course (both APs use Finney).  Thoughts?

While we're at it, I am interpreting the following course to be less-advanced than the AP sequence - am I correct?

Applied Calculus 

Applied Calculus is a yearlong course that includes a thorough review of elementary functions. This course is not designed to prepare students for the AP Calculus exam. The scope of the course includes topics relating to functions and graphs, limits and continuity, differential calculus, and integral calculus. Many practical applications of calculus are studied. Prerequisite: Successful completion of Introduction to Calculus. 

Originally, I assumed that the "Calculus" course would be categorized as easier/less-advanced than the AP sequence (AB and BC are each one whole year).  However, the phrase "equivalent to a first-year calculus course for a math or science major at most colleges" would seem to point toward it being more advanced than the AP sequence - or maybe just more advanced than AB?

A first year calculus course for math and science majors would cover all of single variable calculus (differential calc and simple integrals in first semester, more complex integration techniques during the second semester.) I am puzzled by the claim that a one year course for math/science majors would be equivalent to AP AB - that would be equivalent to a single semester.

If your AP courses are each taught as year long courses, this course would be moving at a faster pace. One would also gain extra time because there would be not extensive test preparation (which I assume would be part of a designated AP course).

While we're at it, I am interpreting the following course to be less-advanced than the AP sequence - am I correct?

That is how I would interpret the course description as well.

A first year calculus course for math and science majors would cover all of single variable calculus (differential calc and simple integrals in first semester, more complex integration techniques during the second semester.) I am puzzled by the claim that a one year course for math/science majors would be equivalent to AP AB - that would be equivalent to a single semester.

Thanks regentrude!!  I'm wondering if perhaps "alternative to AB" refers to where it would fall in the math sequence.  I will have to ask the math teachers directly.

If your AP courses are each taught as year long courses, this course would be moving at a faster pace. One would also gain extra time because there would be not extensive test preparation (which I assume would be part of a designated AP course).

I wonder how time-consuming it would be to self-study for the BC exam during such course.  (This would probably be junior year.)

"Calculus" sounds like Calculus I for scientists/engineers (includes analytic geometry) - which would be a semester course at college, but they're spreading it over a whole year.  It sounds to be the deeper (more advanced) calculus course, but it doesn't seem to cover topics beyond Calculus I which is probably why they say it's an alternative to Calculus AB.   Agreeing with what's been said.

This high school actually offers FIVE different levels of first year calculus??  (I'm counting AB and BC both as first year calculus because they are at many/most schools)  (My high school had 1, and there was no confusion.)

I think you're going to have to ask the math dept because these descriptions don't make sense.  Is there a sequence for these courses shown anywhere?

This high school actually offers FIVE different levels of first year calculus??  (I'm counting AB and BC both as first year calculus because they are at many/most schools)  (My high school had 1, and there was no confusion.)

I think you're going to have to ask the math dept because these descriptions don't make sense.  Is there a sequence for these courses shown anywhere?

I sent an email to the admissions people about who to ask, even though this is obviously not an urgent question with regard to my 7th grader who is applying next year, LOL.  (They might think I'm a nut - whatever.  I am.)  I can always ask a math teacher in person next fall at the open house...

Why would they offer a calc course that was equivalent to college level calc that was not AP? Is it somehow connected with a college so that it also offers college credit, just not via the AP test?

Our local high school has a number of classes that are taught at the high school that give college credit without the AP test. I think they're taught by adjunct university faculty.

If that were the case, if the teacher was ok, I'd think that might be the better option. (I am so OVER high stakes tests.....)

Why would they offer a calc course that was equivalent to college level calc that was not AP? Is it somehow connected with a college so that it also offers college credit, just not via the AP test?

Our local high school has a number of classes that are taught at the high school that give college credit without the AP test. I think they're taught by adjunct university faculty.

If that were the case, if the teacher was ok, I'd think that might be the better option. (I am so OVER high stakes tests.....)

Thanks - this is an interesting point that I hadn't considered.  The school *is* affiliated with a private university and students are allowed to take classes there in appropriate circumstances, though I'm not aware that college faculty might teach a class at the high school.  I would be happy to dispense with the AP test if it were clear from the transcript that the class was college-level, if indeed that turns out to be the case.  We shall see.