Menu

ACT moderator forgot to give the five minute warning this am

My 17yods took the ACT this morning for the first time.  During the first section (I think he said it was English), the moderator never gave the five minute warning.  He ended up leaving 20 or so questions unanswered.  The moderator apologized and asked if it had messed anyone up - he said everyone raised their hands so she said she would report it.

Any idea what they will do?

What a shame that it happened so early in the test.   Did she remember the rest of the time?

I guess I would hate for my student to depend on the 5 minute warning.  Does he have a watch?  Was there a clock in the room?  Having 20 unanswered questions sounds like he would have left some blank even with the 5 minute warning.

Having said that, if the ACT is like the SAT, they will probably give the students the option of a retake.  I doubt he'll get his score before having to make the decision - but it sounds like he will want a retake regardless.

Next time, send him with a good watch.  He'll want to manage his time independent of the proctor.

She seemed to indicate it was mandatory.  He said that she was very embarrassed and assured them that she would report the issue to the administrators.  I don't think he has a watch . . . none of us do now with our cell phones and itouches in our pockets all the time - LOL!  I'm not sure he even thought about it.  He said she did remember to warn the on the five-minute mark  the rest of the test and that he finished all the other sections easily within the time.  

This is his first time taking it and he is only a sophomore so he may end up retaking it anyway though I think he was really hoping to score well enough to not have to do it again.  We'll see what he decides to do.