Menu

Do you have a favorite atlas for grammar stage?

I need to purchase one but have too many littles to leisurely browse the bookstore shelves, and would love suggestions if you have an atlas you've really found useful in your teaching.

My hope is to start my oldest kiddos (currently 1st and Kindy) on blob-mapping (which is foreign to me so I'm a little intimidated by it). So perhaps certain page dimensions are helpful for tracing onto an 8.5 x 11 page?? And maps that clearly show the 5 major circles and other basic info used in blob-mapping? Also, any additional info/stats in the atlas would great, but not at the expense of clean, easy to read maps. I'd love an atlas that is user-friendly for my kids and not too overwhelming, especially for DS who has mild sensory issues and does best with "clean" page layouts.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you have!

I haven't bought an atlas (yet) but I did get some good blob maps for my K from a blog called Half a Hundred Acre Wood. They aren't detailed, but have been great for tracing and learning the basics. Now that he's traced them a lot, we have moved on to DS trying to draw them on his own blank sheet while looking at the blob map.

Kristi and MMASC-- love the freebie ideas! (my frugal dh thanks you too.) I'd forgotten about those half a hundred maps... I downloaded them last summer but never thought to use them without an atlas beside me. Such a smart, simple idea I can get started with right away. Thanks!

Peachy - I'm a sucker for pretty; i'll try to get my hands on a copy to check out.