Menu

Anyone have a child with sensory issues?

Ds struggles with things...he has some OCD-ish behaviors and some sensory issues. The latest one is proving to be a huge problem.

He plays violin and now it's driving him nuts. He can't get his violin to feel right on his shoulder. We've tried different shoulder rests and different chin rests, but ultimately, it's in his head. He's frustrated now to the point of crying. Up to this point I've been able to adjust and help him and get him to the point where he can practice for awhile. Once he's really into his practice he's able to play for quite some time - but if he takes his violin down again the adjustments start all over again. This morning has been the worst. He started and stopped a few songs, but his frustration level was way too high and he couldn't keep his violin on his shoulder for any length of time.

Dh thinks I should just get some M&Ms and pop one into his mouth every time the violin is up on his shoulder. I'm willing to try anything at this point, but I'm also wondering if there's any way to help ds get comfortable.

He loves violin and he's very frustrated with not being able to play. I'm trying to be patient because I know he isn't doing this on purpose but part of me is becoming very frustrated - just play the darn thing already!

Any advice is appreciated.

Dd has been diagnosed with Sesory Integraton Defensiveness. But she has worked through most of it without to much OT.

One thought I have - Can he describe the feeling that is bothering him? I was thinking it might be sticking to him (especially if you are in a hotter place) then a new chin rest shape would not neccessarily help.

One thing that was suggested to me is to use a specialized brush to give sensory input in a controlled way. Maybe this would help to help organise his brain around the sensations in that area.

This is one area of SI that dd did not struggle so much with, so I do not have any ideas - only sympathy. Kodos to you for acknowledging he is struggling rather than misbehaving. SI kids often get misunderstood.

Hopefully other will be more help!

My oldest DD has Sensory Integration and Sensory Modulation issues. I dont have any particular ideas to help with your situation, but can recommend several good books:

The Sensational Child

The Out of Sync Child

Raising a Sensory Smart Child

If after reading them you feel like your child needs OT or sensory therapy, ask around to see if anyone has any local recommendations.

I agree with the brushing - have an OT show you how it is done, and get the surgical scrub brushes they use. An overall brushing (oh, and joint compression!) before practice time might take the edge off the sensory issues. It is worth a try!

http://funandfunction.com/sensory-brushes-6-pack-p-602.html

http://www.pbbkids.com/the_wilbarger_brushing_protocol.htm

My dd was diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder a few months ago. It's interesting that you mention violin, because we finally allowed her to drop the instrument - which she wanted to learn - because she could not handle some of the sensations involved (vibration on the jaw bone, fingers on strings). She is in occupational therapy now and it's making a world of difference for her. I'm hoping she can pick up an instrument again, either violin or maybe cello, in a year or two.

If it's at all possible for you, I'd recommend getting an OT evaluation if you suspect sensory problems. It has been such a relief for dd to have a therapist who understands her and for us to know that our dd is not just "being a pill" when she freaks out over things that seem so minor to us.

Ds struggles with things...he has some OCD-ish behaviors and some sensory issues. The latest one is proving to be a huge problem.

He plays violin and now it's driving him nuts. He can't get his violin to feel right on his shoulder. We've tried different shoulder rests and different chin rests, but ultimately, it's in his head. He's frustrated now to the point of crying. Up to this point I've been able to adjust and help him and get him to the point where he can practice for awhile. Once he's really into his practice he's able to play for quite some time - but if he takes his violin down again the adjustments start all over again. This morning has been the worst. He started and stopped a few songs, but his frustration level was way too high and he couldn't keep his violin on his shoulder for any length of time.

Dh thinks I should just get some M&Ms and pop one into his mouth every time the violin is up on his shoulder. I'm willing to try anything at this point, but I'm also wondering if there's any way to help ds get comfortable.

He loves violin and he's very frustrated with not being able to play. I'm trying to be patient because I know he isn't doing this on purpose but part of me is becoming very frustrated - just play the darn thing already!

Any advice is appreciated.

I would try some physical and sensory activity immediately before violin practice. Weightbearing through his arms (crab walking, have a crawling race, do the wheelbarrow) and/or sensory stimulation (brushing, stroking, massage) might help normalize the sensory information in his shoulder before he picks up the violin. Alternatively, providing sensory input elsewhere like a rocking board footrest or sitting on a therapy ball while practicing might give him some distraction. You can find good ideas for such activities in The Out of Sync Child Has Fun.

Dd has sensory issues. I have always found that if she can tell me why "it" doesn't feel right I can find a way to fix it. Has your ds outgrown his violin? That may be why all of a sudden it doesn't feel right. See if he can tell you what doesn't feel right. Too big? Too small? Too hard? Too long? Too short? Etc.