Menu

How to get started with competitions?

We're pretty new to homeschooling, and not that connected to the local homeschool groups/community (they're exclusive and we don't qualify); my two school age (8 and 5) are also gifted, so I'm looking for ways to connect them to both friends and peers who have similar interests.  

We live near Kansas City, MO, and I haven't been able to find anything about local homeschool groups that participate in academic competitions, or how to register for these things, or where to find them, or anything.  

Does anyone have any information about specific contests/competitions they've entered and loved (or at least liked), and how to get involved?  Who to contact, where to start?  All subjects are possible I suppose.  

Also, to be honest, I'm looking for something both to show my daughter (8) that there are other kids like her and that there are other kids who might even be brighter at some subjects.  Her isolation is making her think that she's alone (which is not true, right?) and that she's the smartest kid that ever existed, which is a long way from true (she's HG, but certainly not PG).

Any info would be so appreciated :)

Prufrock Press has a book called "The Best Competitions for Talented Kids". I have the previous edition and it didn't note which competitions are open to homeschoolers. So if there is a competition that interests your child, you'd have to double-check the rules to make sure HS kids are eligible.

Watch here-there are enough of us who have kids who like contests that you'll see it posted here, and then can check websites for local sites, or for some, start your own. For some of the ones my DD does, I actually am the official "sponsor"-but usually can find at least one or two kids to participate locally.

Ones my DD has done as a 6-9 yr old

local, live, register online:
Mathnasium Trimathon in fall
Math. Kangaroo in Spring
Talent Search Testing (My DD loves taking the EXPLORE because it puts her in a room of smart kids)

American Math Challenge (or other regional challenges)-alternate falls (will return in 2014)
World Education Games (alternate Springs-will return in 2015)

Test contests that you can do individually if no one else does them in your area

Continental Math league (and other subject areas-DD has done LA and Science)
Noetic Math League
Exploratory Latin Exam
National Mythology Exam
National Classical Etymology Exam (high school, but there is a middle school category that elementary kids can participate in)

Ones where you need a local site-
Spelling bee
Science fair

Next year she'll try the AMC 8 (we have a local site for it), and we're trying to get a math team together.

Plus various local stuff-lots of things have writing or writing/art contests, and often there's some social event for "school winners" (with homeschoolers forming a "school")