Menu

Autistic kids and World Autism Day?

Kathryn

If you have an autistic child and they were aware of World Autism Day, how do they feel about it? My 8yo was oblivious until he turned on BrainPop and I saw him get really upset. He started muttering to himself and I asked him what was wrong. He couldn't really explain why it upset him so much, just that he hates autism and doesn't think people should talk about it. I didn't know what to say about that. I tried explaining to him that it's about awareness, etc., but he's very negative about it in the first place, so that wasn't any help. I'm just wondering if anyone else had similar problems with awareness campaigns for autism or other "issues."

Our diagnosis is pretty recent (since last World Autism Day). I haven't really addressed it, but :grouphug:. My kiddo is very aware (Asperger's under the old criteria), so if he heard about it, we'd probably discuss it. At this point, he "hates" his ASD book, but when we read it, he's always stunned at how cool it is to recognize himself in there, lol. Truthfully, even people who have other issues, like cancer, don't necessarily find joy or fulfillment in promoting awareness about those sorts of issues either--they just want life to be normal. I wouldn't think that being disgruntled about having everyone's attention on it is an unreasonable reaction, but I may be in the minority on that.

I saw that Brain Pop clip. It ruffled my feathers too, but I didn't put much thought into it until reading this thread. I think my major complaint is that they "increased Autsm awareness" by focusing almost exclusively on the stereotype of Autism. I came away with, "People with Autism act weird in social situations but that's okay 'cuz some are sauvants." That's not exactly an encouraging message for an every-day non-genius Autistic kid.

My dd didn't react poorly to it, but she did say that she thought they needed to do more research.