Menu

Input please for these World History options ( 7th gr)

After taking our time ( 3 yrs) working through SL's  American History Core D then E,  I need to plan 7th and 8th to cover world history.

I''m considering the following for spines. Preferably, what we use is mostly independent and easy to schedule over two years.

-Transitions from Veritas Press (uses Pages of History)

-SOTW 1& 2 for 7th gr., 3 & 4 for 8th gr.

We will plan to use the Lit from SL core G & H.

Thanks in advance for any input! :)

I would also tend to go toward MOH, or another more in-depth spine for that age.  I believe that SOTW is intended to go through approximately the 6th grade level.  MOH could be done as a read-aloud at any level or for independent reading for older children.  

My dd used SL G for 7th grade.  She absolutely loved it and didn't think the SOTW books were babyish.  The SL readers and read alouds add a ton of meat to the SOTW books anyway.  I let her read along in the SOTW books while listening to the audio.  She outlined and wrote summaries from the KF Encyclopedia, did mapwork using Map Trek, filled our homemade wall timeline with beautiful figures, made crafts/costumes and cooked using AG and other resources, wrote research papers on famous people/places of that time, and watched TONS of great documentaries.  I have many free resources for SOTW on our blog under Handy History links on the right hand side of blog.  Also, there are schedules made by other homeschoolers using SOTW/literature books if you decide to not use SL guides/schedules.

I know many people say that SOTW is for the younger elementary crowd and yes it probably would be if you didn't flesh it out with all the resources I mentioned above.  My dd came home from ps and didn't know much about ancients, middle ages, etc and I feel SOTW gave her a great start.....not to mention a love for history!  

Some people add in Human Odyssey books along with SOTW.  We attempted HO with my 6th grader this year to go along with Ancients SOTW, but it was not a winner for her.  I do pull excerpts from it to use in writing assignments for IEW.  

Good luck finding the right fit!

http://www.murrayshire.blogspot.com/search/label/SOTW

Julie, why do you like MoH for that age? Thanks!

I know lots of kids like SOTW, but my kids have not liked it. They really like MOH and I find it meatier as well. I do a lot of the other Sonlight history and readers alongside MOH. Previous to these cores, I have done all the complete Sonlight cores - as I get into middle and high school, I tend to move away from the structure of Sonlight and pick and choose my own things.