Menu

I just received my BJU Life Science - xpost

I'm wondering about the TM - it just looks scary - there I said it. I have never used BJU or Abeka, or anything like that, so all these side bars are making me think I'll need the real thing (bar that is : )

How much time per day does this take for the teaching/student work???

I scheduled 1 hour per day, but I'm wondering.....

Also, teaching BJU 6 to younger dd, but that doesn't look half as scary.

HELP!:banghead:

Hi Chris,

I used BJU Biology with my ds several years ago. It is a textbook that is very "in-depth". I wish that I had the biology dvds or Home SAT when I taught the book. I think if you stick with the book (which we didn't) that you do take about an hour or at least half an hour each day to teach from the TM. The student should read the information ahead of time and then you go over the information with quizzes and the questions for each section. So, student time in studying might vary depending on how fast the child reads, comprehend the material, and write answers to questions. This might take up to an hour. Have your child MEMORIZE the vocabulary words (words in bold). Don't try to teach everything. Pick and choose what you deem is important. If I remember correctly there were boxes with information to give extra information to the student. I would only go over these if the student is truly interested in biology. We were bogged down in the cellular biology chapter which I've heard from others is a tough chapter. If you can hang in there with your child then the rest of the book won't be so bad.

YOu will need to take more time than one hour for labs. I didn't use the BJU labs, but I've done labs with all sorts of textbooks. YOu need to give yourself and your student at least two hours for a lab. Sometimes it took us more time than that especially if we were unfamiliar with a microscope or a particular procedure. Many times we messed up and would try to redo the experiment. We also needed time to record the data and write the lab up.

Also give yourself time to review the material well before having your dc take the test. You might want to come up with some study notes.

HTH,

I posted some questions on another forum about Bob Jones life science. I had always planned on doing Apologia but had a neighbor (science teacher) willing to teach a group of homeschool kids Bob Jones life science. The consensus was that BJ upper level sciences are a lot harder for a homeschool setting. The experiments are much more involved etc. Apologia seems to work better unless you are a parent longing to dive into all the experiments with your child (and willing to pay for all the things needed for the experiment). If it looks overwhelming, you are not in the minority! I would suggest looking at Apologia. It is rigorous but a little more doable for non-science mothers! We are going ahead with the BJ, but merely because the the willing teacher.