Menu

How to screen a psychologist? or family counselor?

I need to find someone to help walk our family through better communications and support.  We had a very scary, potentially tragic incident occur yesterday and it needs to be addressed immediately.  Unfortunately, I believe a large part of the issue is DH's relationship with the kids and how he handles their issues.  One child in particular, who had seemed to be doing well, was actually masking a lot of emotional issues and is in unexpectedly bad shape right now.   DH loves the kids and the kids love him.  He has agreed to go as a family to seek counseling.  But he does not agree that he is part of the issue.   He also thinks, despite the rather alarming turn of events yesterday, that kids are resilient and I am overreacting.   I need to find someone that will be sensitive to DH while also getting support for the family.  I need help brainstorming good questions.  And would a psychologist or a family counselor be the one to go to? 

(((hugs)))  This is a very familiar situation to me. 

I think a family therapist would be a good choice, though you can also choose someone who does therapy with kids and also works with parents.  This could be a psychologist, an LPC or an LCSW, in your state.  A good therapist with kids will also work with parents.  You don't necessarily need someone who labels themselves as a "family therapist".

Look at your options in the area and google to see if any of them have websites listing experience and specialities.  Feel free to pm me with any questions, as I am an LCSW with a specialty in kids, adolescents and families.  Today is a pretty busy day for me, but I understand the emergent nature of this.  I can pm you my phone number if needed.  Reach out via pm if that would be helpful.

I need to find someone to help walk our family through better communications and support.  We had a very scary, potentially tragic incident occur yesterday and it needs to be addressed immediately.  Unfortunately, I believe a large part of the issue is DH's relationship with the kids and how he handles their issues.  One child in particular, who had seemed to be doing well, was actually masking a lot of emotional issues and is in unexpectedly bad shape right now.   DH loves the kids and the kids love him.  He has agreed to go as a family to seek counseling.  But he does not agree that he is part of the issue.   He also thinks, despite the rather alarming turn of events yesterday, that kids are resilient and I am overreacting.   I need to find someone that will be sensitive to DH while also getting support for the family.  I need help brainstorming good questions.  And would a psychologist or a family counselor be the one to go to? 

What area do you live in? Maybe someone could recommend someone.  We had a great family therapist I'd recommend to anyone in the Atlanta area.  It's definitely something you need a carefully compassionate person for so the therapist can help each family member see their role in the family dynamics.  It is time and money well spent to get help for the family members so the kiddos can grow up confident and knowing they're loved.  HUGS!

What area do you live in? Maybe someone could recommend someone.  We had a great family therapist I'd recommend to anyone in the Atlanta area.  It's definitely something you need a carefully compassionate person for so the therapist can help each family member see their role in the family dynamics.  It is time and money well spent to get help for the family members so the kiddos can grow up confident and knowing they're loved.  HUGS!

Thanks Sandy.  I actually am in South Texas.  Glad to see you on the boards.  How are things?  I know you've had some difficult times lately...

Thanks Sandy.  I actually am in South Texas.  Glad to see you on the boards.  How are things?  I know you've had some difficult times lately...

Still coping!  Thank you for asking.. I'm actually taking my mom for yet another pre-op tomorrow and surgery on Friday morning.  It seems to be the saga that will never end, but I'm not complaining because she is weathering it all very well for her age. I'm still checking in on the boards semi-regularly, although I don't comment much.  I hope you find help for your situation.  Truly, family counseling can be a tremendous blessing with the right person.  Hugs!