Menu

Essential Math or Earlybird?

vaquitita

Can anyone compare these two for me? Early bird is SO much more expensive, even without the teachers books. The only obvious difference I can see is Earlybird is in color and has separate text book and workbook while essential math is b&w and has notes to teacher on the bottom of the page.

This past year, my best friend used Earlybird while I used Essentials, so I've been able to do some comparison. Both have instructions for lesson at the bottom of the workbook pages, so even if you go with Earlybird, you don't need the textbook.  Otherwise, the Earlybird book is colorful and has more cut & paste type activities (cut these shapes out and use them to…) where Essentials has none of that. I think you can choose based on the general craftiness of your kiddo.  For by boys, Essentials was perfect.  

I also found this blog post comparing them, which may be helpful: http://www.blueskiesacademy.com/2011/03/singapore-earlybird-versus-essential-math/

After looking at samples, I went with Essentials, as I couldn't see anything to justify the price difference for K math (which is really quite simple). Two of my kids used Essentials and enjoyed it. Both have gone on to first grade math or above with no problem. Older kid did Singapore 1, which we found to be very similar to Essentials, so it was a seamless transition. He's now very successfully using a combo of CLE 200 and Beast Academy 3. Younger kid is doing CLE 100 right now, again with no problem.

Either choice will get you to first grade math, which goes over everything again. K math is just an introduction.

I haven't seen Earlybird in person, but did a lot of research deciding between the two.  We went with Essentials and it has worked out beautifully.  There still is some coloring components, which my DD enjoys.  The instructions / guided lessons are written at the bottom of the page and have been perfect to introduce concepts using simple manipulative.  Simple and light to implement.  My DD is almost done with B and has really enjoyed it.  We will be moving on to 1A/B next year.

I had the same question and went with Essentials. I've been very happy with my decision and DS has really enjoyed it so definitely no complaints. The big difference, IMHO, is that Earlybird seems more geared to "classroom" type activities and Essentials is more... simplified.