Menu

Speed reading-can't remember which program was recommended

I got the Speed Reading 4 Kids -- the book and DVD. The first dvd didn't work on any tv in the house -- no audio at all. So after months of emails, I finally called the company and they sent me a new DVD. Guess what? No audio on the 2nd one either. I've emailed and called again, but have heard nothing.

I can't figure out the program with just the book. I'm an auditory/visual learner. Reading the book gives me the general idea, but I really need to SEE it.

I am very, very disappointed in the "customer service" I've received. If I had it to do again, I'd go with something else. I have no idea whether the program works or not. I just know that they don't seem to care much for their customers.

I got the Speed Reading 4 Kids -- the book and DVD. The first dvd didn't work on any tv in the house -- no audio at all. So after months of emails, I finally called the company and they sent me a new DVD. Guess what? No audio on the 2nd one either. I've emailed and called again, but have heard nothing.

I can't figure out the program with just the book. I'm an auditory/visual learner. Reading the book gives me the general idea, but I really need to SEE it.

I am very, very disappointed in the "customer service" I've received. If I had it to do again, I'd go with something else. I have no idea whether the program works or not. I just know that they don't seem to care much for their customers.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't think I would be wanting to deal with them.

We tried Speed Readng 4 Kids, and unless I misunderstood how to use it completely (always a possibility!) the method was not effective for us. It seemed to be a matter of getting the student's eyes to move faster and faster over the page, with the expectation that eventually they would automatically move from seeing it to reading/understanding.

Rocket Reader is software with an approach that makes more sense to me -- though we've not used it long enough to tell. It uses several exercises. One example is flashing words on the screen, beginning with a short word and adding more over time. A small box appears for a second (actually I think it's less than a second) with a word like 'kitchen.' Then the student has to type what he saw... over time it gets more complicated, until the student is seeing phrases at the same speed and typing what he's seen so the program tailors it to their progress. There are other exercises. I only remember one since I'm not really supervising this too closely, but I've seen a chunk of text on the screen with highlighting boxes gettting larger and moving more and more quickly through it, and comprehension tests afterward.

I hope you're able to find something that works!