Menu

Am I bad for disliking unit studies?...

In theory I would rather teach a discipline than a mishmash of stuff that doesn't connect with the next mishmash you study. I guess I see unit studies as something that will happen naturally when your kids get on a roll about something. I can't imagine ever having the energy to make a perfectly balanced program like that. I think if my kids were to insist on learning that way, I'd switch to unschooling. I certainly wouldn't spend my entire life making props for them.

Rosie

Guest Dulcimeramy
I didn't mean to say her kids were bad and mine were good, altho I could see where I came across that way. And I was honest with her and told her why. We actually became very good freinds and did tons of stuff together as families as well as homeschooling Moms. SOme of my fondest memories of our first years homeschooling were things we came up with and did together, however, I could not fathom spending so much time on a curriculum that I needed to have my sons elsewhere for an entire day every week to get ready for it. Mine were only 4 and 6 at the time and it was just too much. (I also had teenage daughters and driving lessons, and dance class and marching band all going on at that point in my life as well.)

I'm sorry I misunderstood! :) Thanks for clarifying.

And don't even ask about those gorgeous lapbooks

Aaaaaacccckkk! Lapbooks. My younger son has this thing he does sometimes where he throws his hands up over his head and runs around in circles screaming. He looks just like a cartoon character panicking (he does this if, for example, a girl tries to kiss him on the playground). That's what lapbooks make me want to do.