Menu

CLE Math 600 to SM DM?

We have been using CLE for math since 3rd grade, and have really liked it! But, I am ready for a change in 7th grade. We will most likely integrate back into brick and mortar high school, so I want to make sure we are ready for that transition.

I am considering SM Dimenstions Mathematics for 7th grade. Looking online, it does not seem to need prior SM experience, but just wanted to make sure we would not experience a HUGE learning curve. (I know there will be some learning curve challenges)

My other fear is teaching it! One of things I have loved about CLE is the hand-holding of the teacher's guide in teaching the lessons! I am NOT a math person (my strength is writing/language arts), so I need help with the teaching process!

TIA!

We've moved into Derek Owens' Pre-algebra from CLE 600. This program is available at www.lucideducation.com for purchase...so you buy the workbooks and solutions cd and watch the videos online. She has transitioned well. I love that he does all the teaching as I also don't have a strong background in math.

What makes you want to try SM discovering math? We loved SM through 6b, but the DM books were more classroom oriented and somehow not as user friendly as I'd hoped... I would keep going with CLE if it's working. Try Saxon or Teaching Textbooks or one of the online programs if you want more hand-holding.

What makes you want to try SM discovering math? We loved SM through 6b, but the DM books were more classroom oriented and somehow not as user friendly as I'd hoped... I would keep going with CLE if it's working. Try Saxon or Teaching Textbooks or one of the online programs if you want more hand-holding.

Can you expand on this? Which version did you use? This DM 7 is on my short list for next year.

Thanks!

There is hardly any guidance for the teacher in DM. The TM's are basically just solutions manuals.

You might want to consider the new Math in Focus middle school program if you like the Asian-based math part of DM but want more hand-holding. MiF is expensive, however.