Menu

I need 2 months of copywork

Tracy

Ds6 (K) finished up his spelling early.  (If I had known, I wouldn't have told him that we would take our summer break after List I.)  It is not worth the fight to get him to keep going.  But I told him that we will still have to play phonogram games and do some copywork so he doesn't forget how to write.  (SWR is our only writing at this point.)  

I would like to make the copywork as painless as possible for me.  Does anyone know where I can find some free copywork?  I would love if it were literature-based.  (We will start WWE in the fall.)

Do you just need the passages, or do you need the pages pre-made?  I can copy and paste about 2 months worth of copywork passages, but my son is a bit older so he copies from a printed page over to handwriting paper as opposed to having the copywork laid out with a blank line underneath.  If you quote me in your reply, I'll see it and c+p the copywork.

Do you just need the passages, or do you need the pages pre-made?  I can copy and paste about 2 months worth of copywork passages, but my son is a bit older so he copies from a printed page over to handwriting paper as opposed to having the copywork laid out with a blank line underneath.  If you quote me in your reply, I'll see it and c+p the copywork.

I just need the passages, because I don't have time to look for them.  I have StartWrite, so I can copy and paste and make it the size I need.  Thanks so much!!!

I have less typed up than I thought I did, but they are a bit long, so you'll probably cut in half for K!  Aesop selction are from Milo Winter, other books are mentioned by title. 

Aesop’s Fables

The Greek historian Herodotus mentions â€œAesop the fable writer†is a slave living in Ancient Greece, 500 years before Christ (B.C.).

The Lion and the Mouse

A lion lay asleep in the forest, his great head resting on his paws.

A timid little mouse came upon him unexpectedly, and in her fright and haste to get away, ran across the lion’s nose.

Roused from his nap, the lion laid his huge paw angrily on the tiny creature to kill her.

“Spare me!†begged the poor mouse.  “Please let me go and someday I will surely repay you.â€

The lion was much amused to think that a mouse could ever help him.  But he was generous and let the mouse go.

Some days later, while stalking his prey in the forest, the lion was caught in the toils of a hunter’s net.

Running to one of the great ropes that bound him, the mouse gnawed it until it parted, and soon the lion was free.

“You laughed when I said I would repay you,†said the mouse.  “Now you see that even a mouse can help a lion.â€

A kindness is never wasted.

The Railway Children

One morning, a letter came.  It was addressed to Bobbie, Peter, and Phyllis. 

I’d like to marry a lady who had trances, and only woke up once or twice a year.

Peter had already gone down two of the cabin steps into the cloud of thick smoke.

Now what would have happened if the baby hadn’t cried I don’t know – but just at that moment, it did cry.

Bobbie caught at the place where the bark came from, and her hands met on the fat back of a smooth-haired dog.

Belling The Cat

The mice once called a meeting to decide on a plan to free themselves of their enemy, the cat. 

At least, they wished to find some way of knowing when she was coming, so they might have some time to run away. 

Indeed, something had to be done, for they lived in such constant fear of her claws that they hardly dared stir from their dens by night or day. 

Many plans were discussed, but none of them was thought good enough.  At last, a very young mouse got up and said,

“I have a plan that seems very simple, but I know it will be successful.  All we have to do is to hang a bell around the cat’s neck.  When we hear the bell ringing, we will know immediately that our enemy is coming.†

All the mice were much surprised that they had not thought of such a plan before.  But in the midst of the rejoicing over their good fortune, an old mouse arose, and said,

“I will say that the plan of the young mouse is very good.  But let me ask one question: Who will bell the cat?â€

It is one thing to say that something should be done, but quite a different matter to do it. 

The Trumpet of the Swan

Walking back to camp through the swamp, Sam wondered whether to tell his father what he had seen. 

As he trudged on, the boy’s mind was full of the wonder of what he had seen.  Not many people in the world have seen the nest of a Trumpeter Swan.

And at the tip of it, a few feet out into the water, was a tiny island, hardly bigger than a dining table.  One small tree grew on the island, and there were rocks and ferns and grasses.

“Well, I’m sorry to see the boy, too.  But I must say he is behaving himself.  He sees us, but he’s not throwing stones.  He’s not throwing sticks.  He’s not messing around.  He’s simply observing.â€

I have less typed up than I thought I did, but they are a bit long, so you'll probably cut in half for K!  Aesop selction are from Milo Winter, other books are mentioned by title. 

Thank you!  This plus the other suggestions should be enough to get me through.