Menu

Woodcock Johnson results... what are these?

I understand what most of the scores are but what is the "AE" and "W" portions?

For instance if the "W" is 497, what does that mean?

If the "AE" is 9-7, what does that mean? I think AE means Age Equivalent but why is the first number higher and the next number lower?

I have tried finding it via Google but there isn't a resource I could find that just said.. AE = this and W = that.

Can someone explain it to me?

AE = Age equivalent in years-months.

W must stand for broad written language, which is one of the subtests.  Under broad written language, there should be scores for spelling, writing fluency, and writing samples.

Each subtest should have the following scores:  age equivalent, grade equivalent, percentile, and standard score.

The subtests are Broad reading skills (letter-word identification, reading fluency, passage comprehension), Broad math (calculation, math fluency, applied problems), and broad written language (spelling, writing fluency, writing samples).  My son took it at age 6, so the categories may be a little different for older kids.

HTH!

The WJ III converts the raw scores for each test into W scores. The W score for each test is centered on a value of 500, which is the approximate average performance for age 10 yrs 0 months. The W score can be for an individual test or a cluster of related tests. The W difference scores are based on the difference between the scores of the person tested and others in the same age/grade.

I wouldn't spend much time thinking about the W score. Look at the standard score and the percentile. If the standard score is 100, that is in the middle for age/grade. If percentile is 50%, also in middle.

The vast majority of people will have scores in the middle -- think of a graph with a steep bell curve. What to watch out for are scores that are outside this range, say a standard score that is 15 points higher or lower. Also look to see if there are big discrepancies within the language or math.

The examiner, if halfway decent, should have written a pretty extensive narrative that interprets the scores. Ideally the examiner should also suggest a course of action if child falls to one side or the other of typical scores. They should also be available to answer all your questions in person.

As pp mentioned AE is age equivalent and GE is grade equivalent in years and months.