Menu

Is there a history curriculum that is set up similarly to Elemental Science ?

I think the simplicity of it is what appeals to me. The same way SOTW worked for youger grades: read a chapter, do some mapwork, answer some queastions, do an activity. Not complictated.

With Elemental sciece I like the schedule part-simple and I don't have to think about it. Worksheets, labwork, reseach, all there in a nice book without having three different binders to go through or 25 pages to flip back and forth. Maybe it's just the style of it that just appeals to me.  And it looks like majority can be done by the student himself if the parent is not able to be right there. It also requires for the student to write more, not just multiple choice questions or fill in the blank.

I hope this make sense. The only part about history is ds does not like hand on approach in history (he loves that in science- disect it, grow it, turn it into mush and see what happens, just don't ake his do to any projects in history). We had a lot of interest led history here but I am thinking going into later middle school and eventually high school, he needs more.

Based on what you have said, I would second the vote for History Odyssey. It is fairly independent and schedules everything out. It does use History Pockets for some things, but you could easily skip those assignments if your child isn't keen on hands on history actives. It is a solid history program. Another option that matches your preference would be Mystery of History, but I personally dislike the way the author writes and I take issue with her young earth historical vantage and heavy amount of prosyletizing within the text.

Guest CmpSciMom

We use Elemental Science and I have to agree with either History Odyssey or Mystery of History. We have used both history programs. My 12 year old daughter isn't always interested in the history projects either, but she really likes the Mystery of History writing. She actually asked if she could just have the next Mystery of History book to read when when switched to History Odyssey. But she does pretty much the same types of work in history and science: reading, notes, definitions, sketch / map, outlines, and timeline.