Menu

startwrite for Mac??

mamamindy

Has anyone used this successfully?  I am trying the free trial and I get the error message "You cannot run this application because PowerPC applications are no longer supported".  (Or something like that.)  My Mac is running OS X 10.8.5   That's about all I know. ;)

I think it works on older Macs, but not newer ones. Educational Fontware works though.

My Mac is almost 7 years old.  I consider that old.  However, it was the latest version iMac at that time and is running the latest OS.  So maybe it's new?

I am just tired of handwriting out our copy work.  I know it's not that much trouble…but my DDs wind up waiting around for me to get it done... :bored:

Are you running the original OS it came with, or did you install a new OS? Some people with older OS can bypass an update that disables the ability to use certain software. I think Apple is now requiring software developers to pay them a fee and register, for their software to work. I think you can bypass that.

I'm no expert on the Mac, even though I have a broken down netbook. I just limp along with it, when my iPad mini cannot do something.

You might want to check the exact OS you are using and read the Startwrite website, and google the warning message you got. You might be able to bypass the problem.

Are you running the original OS it came with, or did you install a new OS? Some people with older OS can bypass an update that disables the ability to use certain software. I think Apple is now requiring software developers to pay them a fee and register, for their software to work. I think you can bypass that.

I'm no expert on the Mac, even though I have a broken down netbook. I just limp along with it, when my iPad mini cannot do something.

You might want to check the exact OS you are using and read the Startwrite website, and google the warning message you got. You might be able to bypass the problem.

I am running the newest OS, not the original.

I think in all the time I would spend trying to figure this darn thing out, I could've handwritten all our copy work!!! :cursing:

I handwrite the copywork. I try to make myself feel better about it by telling myself that I'm being Waldorf. :)

DD really *prefers* to copy MY handwriting…  So I really should do this.  I am just getting antsy about writing it all out for her and DD2.  On the bright side, my handwriting might improve.  OR my hand will fall off from fatigue.  :glare:

As an aside, do you print off handwriting paper, or do you buy the thin paper, in reams?  I am having a hard time finding paper locally.  I am tired of printing it off on computer paper.  Okay, I've complained enough for one day. ;)

Print one copy, take to Office max/Depot/Staples, make 1000 copies. Or buy a ream of Handwriting Without tears paper or buy from Zaner-Bloser or rainbow resource.

I despise paying the shipping for this paper. The dotted line is 1/3 instead of 1/2 the line, so properly trains a student to use regular notebook paper. I transition the student to wide-ruled notebook paper as soon as possible. I really ration this stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/School-Smart-Cursive-Notebook-Margin/dp/B003U6MZSQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_op_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0Z1975TD73JHFFKWQEH2

For the earliest students I use 3 lines of college-ruled notebook paper. I learned that trick from Blumenfeld's How to Tutor.

I often do not have access to a printer. I also don't like the shininess of computer paper. Crayon flakes off of it and we use a lot of crayon.

I despise paying the shipping for this paper. The dotted line is 1/3 instead of 1/2 the line, so properly trains a student to use regular notebook paper. I transition the student to wide-ruled notebook paper as soon as possible. I really ration this stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/School-Smart-Cursive-Notebook-Margin/dp/B003U6MZSQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_op_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0Z1975TD73JHFFKWQEH2

They have it at Walmart and you can get free shipping with site to store. http://www.walmart.com/ip/School-Smart-Cursive-Ruled-Short-Way-Notebook-Paper-with-Margin-8-x-10.5-White-500-Pack/24246621

Thanks for sharing!  I have never, ever seen that paper at our local walmarts…but I guess that means I could order it and pick it up…?  I will have to check.  Thank you!  I have seen itty bitty pads of paper that are compatible for Zaner Bloser 2nd/3rd grade cursive (what my DD is learning) but I would much prefer a big 'ole stack of paper since she likes to WRITE. :D

THANK YOU!!!!!!

I've used the store pick up, in the warm weather. There is a Walmart quite a distance away at the end of an undependable bus route, but I go there sometimes when the weather isn't so bad that being stuck at a bus stop for 2 hours isn't the end of the world.

And there is a VERY cheap Chinese restaurant across the street, so at least waiting at the bus stop is with a full tummy. :lol:

THANK YOU!!!!!! I REALLY like this paper, but couldn't afford it.

THANK YOU!!!!!!

I've used the store pick up, in the warm weather. There is a Walmart quite a distance away at the end of an undependable bus route, but I go there sometimes when the weather isn't so bad that being stuck at a bus stop for 2 hours isn't the end of the world.

And there is a VERY cheap Chinese restaurant across the street, so at least waiting at the bus stop is with a full tummy. :lol:

THANK YOU!!!!!! I REALLY like this paper, but couldn't afford it.

So glad to help! :)