Menu

xpost: if taking the ACT early, should you report scores to colleges?

dd is going to take the April ACT as a sophomore, in order to be eligible for dual enrollment at a local school. should we report the score to other schools, or wait for a higher score as a junior? 

she got a 29 on a practice test, so she shouldn't have low scores, but we definitely anticipate an increase next year (she hasn't had algebra 2 yet). 

I would not report scores now; there's no need to.  Both my dc took the ACT as sophomores.  One scored high enough that he never needed to retake it, the other wanted to improve her score and took it again as a junior.  In both cases, we did not submit scores at the time of the test.  Instead, we waited until our dc were actually applying to colleges at the beginning of senior year and submitted scores (to just those colleges) at that time.  I would do it the same way again.  It gives you much more control over which scores go where, and we felt that was worth the extra cost of having the scores sent later.