Menu

If you don't do much science in the younger years

bttrflyvld

The guide for science in the WTM makes it look pretty easy to do science without buying a curriculum.  I think we're going to follow it loosly.  Pick some books up each week from the library on different animals & plants, and about the body.  Is this how you guys do science for the younger years?  Any other suggestions to make it an easy science year?  (take in mind that I'll have a new baby, so less is more sometimes)  8-)

Absolutely. Plus we do a lot of nature journaling. This really helps with observation skills while encouraging children to be engaged in the natural world around them. This is simple: we use index cards to draw creatures, nature finds, the weather and tape these (love double-sided tape) into a basic composition book.

I have tried and abandoned all formal science for my two elementary school kiddos. Half the time we'd do a formal lesson and they'd roll their eyes... "we already KNOW this!" I mean they'd enjoy the experiment or whatever, but they weren't learning a whole lot of new stuff.

Situation is, husband is a physicist and engineer. I'm a total nerd. We can't walk past a natural phenomenon without offering an explanation. They can't ask a question about the natural world without one of us launching into an explanation. We keep an active family membership to the local science museum, which has reciprocity with science museums throughout the nation. We hardly visit a city without a science museum visit (and thus additional launching into explanations about exhibits.) With membership, about a once a month homeschool science class (with lab) played a role for years. Kids have been on FIRST LEGO League teams and we do sciency stuff with scouts. Kids snuggle up with dad on a regular basis and watch shows like Mythbusters and How It's Made. We go on a lot of hikes. We read LOTS of books.

So yeah, we have it covered. My kids get perfect or near-perfect scores on the science section of the standardized test I have them take each year.

That said, one time I proctored such a test and I was *shocked* to see the incorrect answers some homeschooled students marked on their science portions. I mean, some of these questions were REALLY basic. 

So, if you're not science-minded in the home, a curriculum to do a couple times a week probably is a good idea.

Most people on this forum are pretty academically nerdy though, and for many I suspect the science curriculum is totally optional.

Similar to a PP, my husband has degrees in physics and engineering (and works as an engineer).

While I do plan to purchase Behold and See 1 for next year, it's more of a jumping off point - I do not plan to use it formally (but to pull out the occasional page to add to our state required portfolio); I like that it includes nature study, weather, etc. Otherwise, I'll be purchasing literature. The "Let's Read and Find Out" science series looks great. We're heading off into some planet/astro study, weather and weather patterns study, and basic physics using literature, toys, quality blocks, etc.

I have kids of similar ages and we don't do a formal science curriculum. However we talk about science a lot. I am a science nerd so I tend to explain everything like a previous poster. We do a lot of science lessons when cooking. Lots of biology and chemistry in that. Also we talk about matter, solids, liquids, gasses when we boil water, melt butter etc... We have a large garden, so my girls get lots of plant science, as well as some earth science. We also talk about thinks like weather all the time. We do a lot science while on walks and even driving in the car. My 4 y/o knows ROYGBIV, from discussions when we see a rainbow.

We watch a lot of pbs specials, (NOVA etc...). Anything can turn into a science lesson. When runoff from a fast snow melt washed away part of our driveway we went outside to examine it and learned about erosion.

One thing I think is important is being knowledgeable about science yourself, or being willing to look for accurate answers if you aren't. And then you need to use your opportunities. For example when I say we learned about erosion, I didn't just say that's erosion, we actually looked at it, discussed it, compared it to the creek down the street etc...

we too are very science minded. we don't intend to do formal science until at least 5th or 6th. but we do/intend to do

- biology and botany through lots of interesting books we keep on the shelf for free reading. we have a 50 book series on the human body for kids which was released as a subscription thing many years ago, $10 at a thrift store, bargain!

- chemistry through those fun kits you can buy (and requiring them to actually read the book lol)

- physics through lego simple machines and life experience

- we also intend to get some sort of snap circuit kit

- we visit the museum regularly and talk about natural events and weather. dh tries to catch astronomical events like eclipses and we would do an impromptu lesson then.

- science experiment books which I try to indulge them in from time to time.

- documentaries and simply asking questions and following interests. if they ask how an engine works we will teach them or show then how to find out for themselves. if they ask how plants pollinate we will find a resource. our aim is to teach them to want to ask these questions and to find their world fascinating

so I think we will have the whole general overview thing pretty covered even if they don't follow rabbit trails, which I expect they will

however, I agree with a previous poster. if you aren't very science minded yourself and things like lego machines and snap circuits and chemistry kits aren't on your radar, you may benefit from something more formal to ensure it does 'get done'

Agreeing with PPs. DH and I have science background and inclination.  The kids LOVE science but we are informal and serendipetous about it most of the time, reading lots of books, doing lots of nature exploration, science kits, DIY projects, taking advantage of museum and community programs and travel, etc.  The *only* problem we sometimes have with this, is that we can inadvertently miss foundational concepts.  BFSU to the rescue.  :)  For us, it's a great resource, especially for those weeks when it seems we end up lighter than usual on science, and helps me make sure we're covering all the bases.  But I don't think it's strictly necessary for a family like ours, and I know it isn't for everyone for a variety of reasons that are easily found on this forum.  :D

Anyway, does the above mean we don't "do science"? I don't think so, but I think that this approach can be difficult for a non-sciency family to do successfully. IMO "do science" can mean very different things to different people, and that if you get in the habit of observing and researching and interpreting and testing in the early years, you're likely going to be in a pretty good place for when the textbooks become more essential. On the other hand, if getting in the habit required for that kind of learning style is going to be an uphill battle, it might just be easier to use a curriculum.

I also want to add. Although I don't have a "curriculum" I do print off my local school districts science learning targets for each grade level. I don't use it to plan or do science, but I do make sure my girls are exposed to all of the concepts listed, to avoid missing foundational concepts. I never have been missing anything. But it does occasionally stimulate me with some ideas for impromptu science lessons.