Menu

Help with 5th grade reader

My 5th grade dd loves to read and reads frequently to herself. I realized that when she reads aloud though she struggles with pronunciation on a lot of larger words. I gave her a quick reading test (I think ElizabethB links it) and she got 4.7 reading level missing words like molecule, symmetry, physicist, wretched, philosophical, compliance, obstinate, etc. I already knew she struggled a little with words that are harder.

Any suggestions on how to help her read "larger" words better? Something to read aloud together that would challenger her reading skills or some phonics instruction? We did MFW 1st grade phonics but nothing after that.

Thanks for the help!

Most of those are based on either Greek or Latin, all covered in my phonics lesson 27, here are the associated files:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/Resources/OriginSlides.pdf

Within each of those languages, the words are complete phonetic, you just need to learn a few more rules and syllable division patterns.

I would also do the quick version of the things linked at the end of my how to tutor page, reading 2 and spelling 2 words per unit for things known well, spend a bit more time on harder things like wr words, add in spelling rules and syllable division rules and exercises.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

It should only take a few hours to work through this way.