Menu

CC Essentials tutors--- need feedback

If you have tutored Essentials in CC, I'd love your feedback.

How did you like being a tutor? Did you feel equipped to do the job?  Any advice or tips for a newcomer?  How much prep time per week were/are you doing for each class?  We are considering joining CC in the fall for the first time and I have an upcoming 4th grader.   I'm considering becoming an Essentials tutor.

Also, if you were not an Essentials tutor, can you give me any feedback about the program?

Thank you for any information you can share.

I have two DDs in Essentials this year, a 4th grader and a 5th grader. I love it. I really enjoy having them be held accountable to someone else.  The IEW writing is outstanding. The papers my girls have written this year are unbelievable. The grammar program is great, I have learned so much myself.

It doesn't look like anyone is biting on this. I only know this secondhand. A friend of mine is an Essentials tutor this year. It is her first year tutoring Essentials. Before she had tutored Foundations for multiple years.  

You are going to need to watch pretty much all of Teaching Writing Structure and Style and do the exercises--that is like 12 hours probably.  Maybe a tad less.

There is probably a couple hours prep for my friend every week.  She spent about three or more hours every week this past summer preparing, but she is hard core.  If you can sneak a peek at the Essentials binder from someone you will see that they cover grammar including sentence diagramming and the IEW writing.  

All tutors are required to attend training sessions during the summer called Practicum (week long all day camp) and I think there was an additional training thing that my friend had to attend.

I am just tutoring foundations, but I do know the essentials tutor and her sub had a Pudwah and popcorn night- no kids. They watched it all together for a long evening :)  Made it more fun that way. And she had a daughter in it for 2 years before tutoring so that helped too.

We are in Essentials this year, at a brand new campus.  Like pp said, you will be watching the long TWSS DVD to understand how to teach the writing portion of it, and you might re-watch sections of it again further into the year.  Also, the Grammar section - you'll be copying the charts just like the students have to do so that you can understand each chart and teach it from memory.  You'll also be planning a math game for the kids to play during each Essentials session.  I don't tutor Essentials, but I tutor Foundations, and I sit beside my child during Essentials class.  I really like having someone else present the IEW and grammar lessons.  I like being a student alongside my dd.  I like having someone else hold my dd accountable to write well (I just know I wouldn't enforce it as well as someone else - I understand my natural weaknesses, and have found that Essentials helps me with that).