Menu

James Madison High School?

I'm thinking of signing my daughter up for James Madison High School (affiliated with Ashworth online college).  Does anyone have any experience with James Madison?  I'm looking for any information you may have.  Are the courses too easy, too hard, too time-consuming, etc.  Is it too boring to focus on just one subject until it's done before moving on? Do the teachers actually critique the writing assignments with comments or do students just receive a grade?  Anything else?

http://www.jmhs.com/

Thank you!!

I am SO glad you posted this! I have been looking for options for my older two. I have never heard of this one. Do they really only work on one course at a time? That is PERFECT for my guys! {If we ever get to high school level.}

Thank you! I have looked at American School but it is more expensive (a huge consideration for me!).

Patty

It's difficult to imagine any program being much less expensive than American School, because their price for an accredited program that includes all books, course materials, and tests is amazingly reasonable.

Are you sure that James Madison is offering an all-inclusive price?

I remember looking into James Madison before we chose American School and they were quite the salespeople -- they kept calling me until I finally told them to put me on their do-not-call list. I had read some extremely negative comments about the school on several different websites and homeschool forums, and I decided that it wasn't going to work for our family.

Additionally, Ashworth College claims to be fully accredited, but they are NOT. Their accreditation is from the Distance Education and Training Council, which to many people makes their degrees worthless, because many employers and graduate schools will only consider degrees from regionally accredited schools as valid. Ashworth is not regionally accredited. James Madison High School claims to be regionally accredited, but at the time I checked them out, that simply was not true, so please do your homework on this and don't accept their claims at face value before you check the school out thoroughly.

I'm sorry to be discouraging, but I have not heard good things about James Madison. Perhaps others who have used their program will post more info for you.

It says it is regionally accredited by SACI-CASI. I did look at that and it seemed respectable?? And it is between 1200-1400 (depending on the payment plan you choose) for the highschool degree program. All inclusive with e-textbooks. Extra $300 if you want paper textbooks. And it looks like they use Pearson texts. I guess it does a bit too good to be true. Which is why I wondered if anyone had actually used them. Thank you!

It says it is regionally accredited by SACI-CASI. I did look at that and it seemed respectable?? And it is between 1200-1400 (depending on the payment plan you choose) for the highschool degree program. All inclusive with e-textbooks. Extra $300 if you want paper textbooks. And it looks like they use Pearson texts. I guess it does a bit too good to be true. Which is why I wondered if anyone had actually used them. Thank you!

It said it was regionally accredited when we looked into using them, too, but when I tried to verify it, it turned out that they weren't accredited, so that's why I suggested that you doublecheck on it before you make any decisions.

One other thing -- I don't know about your daughter, but my son has found it much better to have paper textbooks. It's really just a matter of preference, but my son thinks the "real" books are much easier to use. :)

Sounds fishy to me. They don;t even list their tuition on the site that I could find. I also had to say stop calling me. We still have time so I'll keep looking. I am curious about Calvert's new high school so maybe will eye that.

And JMH has the same acceditdition as American School. But how do you really know?

It said it was regionally accredited when we looked into using them, too, but when I tried to verify it, it turned out that they weren't accredited, so that's why I suggested that you doublecheck on it before you make any decisions.

One other thing -- I don't know about your daughter, but my son has found it much better to have paper textbooks. It's really just a matter of preference, but my son thinks the "real" books are much easier to use. :)

IMHO, an "Online" course that uses traditional textbooks is better, but it does cost more. A few weeks ago, our phone service went out one morning. With that, our ADSL and our TV went out. DD's "Online" courses all use traditional textbooks. She had to change her plans for that day, but she was able to continue studying, because her courses all use traditional textbooks. That was an incredibly long outage that lasted into the late afternoon that day.  With an "Online" course that is 100% Online, a student in that situation would be "dead in the water".