Menu

Feeling Lost with Spelling and Writing for DS8

Guest newmeximama

Guest newmeximama

New to the forum, first post.  

DS, who is 8, hates writing and spelling.  We have never done a formal writing or spelling program.  I feel it is time to start something for spelling and was considering AAS.  But then found Explode the Code and wonder if it could be used instead.  He is a good reader, taught himself for the most part.  We did do most of Ordinary Parents guide before he was burnt out, he found it rather boring.   I know there are a lot of free spelling resources but I haven't really looked into them very well.  I would like to teach the rules of spelling, not so much memorizing how to spell words off a list.

Should we go back and finish OPG before starting a spelling program?

Is AAS a spelling and phonics program, so Explode the code would not be necessary?

Are the code cards and teachers guide needed with Explode the code or can we use just the work books?

Are there any free spelling rules curriculum/programs?  I have found lots of list makers and study ideas but not programs that teaches rules.

As for writing I am not ready to start a program just yet, I think his dislike for writing comes from his lack of spelling skill.  He is a bit of a perfectionist, wants it right the first time.  No matter how many times I tell him to just do his best sounding words out, which he usually gets if he stops to take the time and sound the word out.  He much prefers it being spelled for him or copying from a correct source.  His letter formation is fine, a little big but he uses capital and lowercase properly (for the most part) and has good spacing.

We have a very limited budget and 3 younger kids to whom I would like to pass down as much curriculum as possible.

All About Spelling might be a good choice because it teaches the rules and he can use the magnetic letters instead of doing writing. The magnetic letters really do show the rules very well also by color coding phonograms.

Other programs that teach rules include (and I'm sure I'm forgetting some): Writing Road to Reading, SWR, Logic of English Essentials, How To Teach Spelling. Your least expensive options of these being Writing Road to Reading and How To Teach Spelling.

I think doing explode the code along with any of the above mentioned programs would be overkill.

I know some people feel that ETC can help with spelling, but that was not our experience really at all.  For ds who was slower to read and is a struggling speller, ETC was, in retrospect, a huge waste of time.  It helped his twin, my decent speller and slightly early reader, to solidify phonics knowledge and gave him a small spelling boost.  But it was not a great program overall now that I'm further down the road.  It is cheap though.  So there's that.  And I know it does really work for some people.  And some people take it slow and maybe get more out of it?

AAS on the other hand, has really helped my struggling speller.  My decent speller has mostly flown through it, but it has helped him as well (though by himself I don't know if the cost would be justified).  It has been a really solid, strong program for us and it was one I really thought I was going to hate because I usually don't like scripted things or things with lots of bits and pieces.  It's a program that will pay for itself if you have three younger kids because it has no consumable pieces (or almost none - there are a few little booklets and a progress chart - that sort of thing that you could easily just make another of yourself).

For writing, we discovered Brave Writer when my boys were 7 yo.  It has been perfect for us.  You could get Partnership Writing from HSBC and try it out.  It has writing projects that can be light and fun (they can also be beefed up a bit for more gifted writers, but the idea behind the name is that writing at this age is mostly a partnership with the parent still scribing and organizing a good bit).  My boys have really loved it.  For example, we are working on a book of maps about imaginary islands right now.  The kids are making the maps and are writing little paragraphs about their places.

Though we are using LOE for my 2nd grader, I do miss AAS.

We completed AAS 1-3 before LOE and I lined ETC books with what we were learning in AAS. This is what he did while I was working with dd. We also used the AAR ( books only ) and it made a nice fit. Using AAS & ETC wasn't too much for him, but I could see how it would be to some dc. You only know what's best for your own child.....

I saw a lot of growth after finishing OPGTR.... Sometimes I refer back to it. Ds took off in reading...... Then I knew it was time for AAS, so he would be less anxious about writing.

If you are looking for phonics for spelling, then I would not go with ETC, as that is phonics for reading.  AAS and LOE are both fine phonics-based spelling programs, but also very expensive.  Spalding and Spell to Write and Read are similar programs that are much more economical. We use SWR.  Many people are willing to spend the money on AAS and LOE, because they are more scripted, and there is more hand-holding for the teacher.  Spalding and SWR both have a significant learning curve, but I found that once I got a few months into it, it became as open-and-go as anything else.