Menu

s/o...SAT prep and testing

My dd will be a junior in the 2015 - 2016 school year.  Given that the PSAT/SAT is slated to change that school year, should we even bother prepping for or taking them? Seems that would be a waste of time.   Maybe we should just put all of our efforts into prepping for the ACT.

My son is in the same boat.  I plan on having him take a practice ACT test the end of this year.  If his ACT score is higher than his PSAT score, then I am going to have him concentrate on the ACT and forget about the SAT.  However, I think that the SAT is going to end up being a better test for him.  I am hoping that he can achieve a high enough score in October of his junior year so he won't have to take the new SAT. 

Also, does anyone have any specifics on how the SAT is changing?  The only specific I have read is that the new SAT will focus less on vocabulary.  I am wondering if that means the SAT Reading section will look more like the ACT: low level vocabulary passages that must be read at a superficial, speedy level in order to have time to answer all of the questions. 

Unless the student is a serious contender for National Merit, I would not bother with the PSAT at all.

Because I would anticipate glitches with anything new, I would make sure my student takes the SAT before the changes, i.e. next school year.

I am in favor of the try at testing in 10th grade anyway, because then Jr year can be used for improvement. I'd have the student do a practice test for both the ACT and SAT and then take at least one of them for real in 10th grade.