Menu

How can I increase reading level?

Perogi

I did a quick reading level screen on my kids today and was a little bit surprised by the results.

My youngest, 6yo, scored level 2.6, so I'm pleased there.

My middle, 8yo, scored 3.8 - pretty much right where she should be.

Eldest, 10yo, scored 5.9 - again, pretty much right where she should be.

I was surprised because I would have guessed that they would score well above their grade levels.

So, what can I do to continue working on and improving reading level? Eldest struggles with reading comprehension as well - I'm looking into getting an evaluation for her.

My son is 6 and started the school year reading at a late 2nd grade level.  I did a reading test on him yesterday and he is reading at between 4.8 and 5.6 level(he could read words off both lists just not all the words).  The only thing we did this year was to have him read.  I would pick books that were at his level and some books that were slightly above his level.  When he had troubles with words I would work with him to sound them out so he could learn the word.  As he gained more confidence trying to sound words out on his own, he would attempt the words first before asking me if they were right.  

So I would say to just get them some books that are slightly above their level to challenge them a little.

Honestly, the idea of reading levels gets to be somewhat arbitrary after a child has learned to read.

What kind of screening was this? Nationally normed? Reliability? Validity?

Even if it was an ideal test that everyone agreed was entirely accurate, it sounds like your kids did fine. Why are you concerned?

The best way to improve reading skills is just to read. There are some specific ways to encourage comprehension if you feel your daughter is reading without understanding.

After initial intensive phonics instruction at the pace of the student (I have taught my 7 out of 8 of my children to read), I then proceeded with Spelling Workout at level C (3rd grade).  This was what we did in the beginning until reading fluency.  After years of homeschooling many children, reading aloud excellent books has been the clincher to improving reading skills.  

For instance, I like to read aloud both challenging literature as well as fun stuff to my children.  Currently we are reading the Beverly Cleary books (for my 4 yob, 8 yob, and 10 yob).  I always stop at the good parts and tell them not to read ahead.   They always do.  This way it strikes their curiosity and encourages them to do the reading on their own.  

It is especially helfpul to make the book come alive using the appropriate accents, sound effects, and such.  

We also limit television and computer/tech devices to 1 to  2 hours per day.

Blessings! 

I used the 40L quick screen, which someone here had linked in another thread:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html

Your responses are part of the reason I'm confused....I feel like I'm doing everything to provide them with what they need to be very successful readers!

All of the kids use All About Spelling, which I think gives them a solid understanding of phonics. We are using Level 2, 4, and 7. We also use ETC, at least through Level 6. My 6yo just finished level 3 and my 8yo just finished level 6.

Every day during our circle time I read our Bible reading and poetry selection. I often read a missionary story as well. We do a read aloud at lunch time (things like Winnie the Pooh, Caddie Woodlawn, Folk Tales from Around the World), and read alouds at bedtime. Often at bedtime each child is read to separately; occasionally 2 children share a bedtime read aloud. Right now my youngest is listening to Peter Rabbit read by Dad and I am reading the girls Cheaper by the Dozen.

Everyone does their own reading, every day, unprompted. We use the SL readers and my 6yo is using the grade 2 intermediate level and my 8yo is using the grade 4-5 pack. My oldest is reading the readers with Core E. I ask the comprehension questions with some regularity.

My oldest is also using CLE Reading, grade 5.

She is on a waiting list for a comprehension assessment - it is supposed to cover reading, writing, and auditory comprehension.

Again, I'm not as concerned about their reading levels, as they aren't behind, but I am surprised that with all that we are doing they are not ahead with reading level. Make sense?

I feel like I'm doing everything to provide them with what they need to be very successful readers!

Again, I'm not as concerned about their reading levels, as they aren't behind, but I am surprised that with all that we are doing they are not ahead with reading level. Make sense?

I think it's easy to fall into the idea that it's about us... that our teaching is what drives our students to progress and that if we provide everything they need and more, shouldn't they progress faster or better? 

I wish it worked that way -- but it doesn't!

Maybe think back to when your kids were learning to talk.   Unless there is terrible neglect, a child will learn to talk and there is really nothing that parents do to make the speech come sooner or later. We just provide an environment of language, and kids learn.  But the rate of their development is outside of our control.

Or think about when your children learned to swim.  You can provide examples and lessons and time to practice, but whether they master swimming quickly or take a bit longer to learn has very little to do with you and a lot more to do with their own development and motivation and aptitude.

Anyway, reading is like any skill. If you (as a teacher) provide the environment to learn and they're ready to do it, it'll happen. But controlling the rate of their learning is just not possible.