Menu

Finishing math early (6 y/o), continue to next level or supplement with another

rafiki

This way you can allow yourself extra time in the coming years for breaks or to slow down and really make sure your ds has the concepts down. It sounds like he likes it, you like it and you're both on something of a roll. I'd definitely keep trucking along!

Good luck. Sounds like you've got a math guy on your hands!

My philosophy is march on to 6th grade and then start looking for diversions. K-6 all arithmetic, and, IMHO, is a great thing to have behind you. Let him go at his own pace. :)

Agreeing with everyone else. 2 of my kids (so far) have gotten ahead in Horizons. One 2 yrs. One 1 yr. I simply let them work as far ahead as they do on their own. BUT......if there are days that these "multiple lessons in one day" kids want to skip math, I make sure I let them. Typically, I don't skip subjects during the day. However, being self-motivated does have its rewards and I let this be one of them.

Now, I state the above based on the "skipping math days" are occassional events. :)

We're in a similar situation here - DD 7 (entering 2nd) is finishing up the Horizon's 2 book now. When you get into the second half of the book you enter into multiplication, so we're just slowing down and really drilling the tables a lot. It's a little slower than we were going, but she's really getting the concepts down and we're still at a comfortable, though accelerated pace. It's a great fit for us. I would recommend it - it's not too much and when we hit the 3rd grade book she'll be really solid and ready for it.