Menu

What does your foreign language tutor do?

Does your tutor give homework?  Reading assignments?  Does your tutor use a textbook?  Grade student compositions?

How often does your student meet with the tutor?

I'm especially interested in the nitty-gritty details if you have a skype (or other remote) tutor.

We have a skype foreign language tutor for Danish,and I am not convinced sure that we are making the best use of the time.  But we like her, and she is open to our ideas. I asked here because DS is currently doing high school level work - just not quite at high school pace.

DD and I had an in person tutor for one hour once a week for French.

The tutor gave us a writing assignment to be completed during the week. During lesson, we had to read it out loud, and then he would critique the assignment and fix mistakes. The remainder of the lesson was spent in conversation. Sometime the tutor had us prepare some sentences for conversation prompts in advance, so we had a point to start.

We found it not effective to use the tutor's time for grammar exercises; we did those during the week and would consult with the tutor if we had any questions.

Ds used tutors in 8th grade, knowing he would enter the public school for high school. He saw a tutor for Latin 2 once a week and French 3 twice a week. One tutor was recently retired from the school system ds was entering and the other was employed part time by the same school system. Since they were both very familiar with the courses he was getting home school credit for they covered the material for those courses using the texts/series ds would see once he entered high school. He had homework after every session. I believe much of the homework was grammar. He had an audio component for the French course. The tutoring was very targeted to making sure ds was up to speed for entering the next level in the public school the next year.