Menu

Psych evaluation denied

lovinglife

Ugh. I am so, so frustrated. Long story, but my Dh and I are trying to get a diagnosis and services for our oldest child, 10 year old ds. We transitioned him to a charter classical school this year after a move and my workload as adjunct faculty increased. While homeschooling we noticed some issues, ands have noticed issues since he was a baby, but just figured that was our spirited child. This year things have gone drastically downhill. We've been dealing with anxiety, distractability, sensory issues, anger issues/meltdowns/tantrums, etc. His teacher has commented that she believes he deals with anxiety (only one of the things he is struggling with), and he also has a tendency to lose attention. He struggles with executive function, is rigid in routine, and craves order and justice. With all of these factors I felt very justified in seeking a psych evaluation and got a referral from his therapist and pediatrician. Yesterday I called to check on the status of the referral (after waiting for months) and was told the psychologist has deemed his needs not severe enough to warrant an evaluation!? What!? We are also trying to get into a developmental pediatrician but are waiting on the evaluation from his teacher before we can even schedule the appointment (she's had the paperwork for ten days). I am so frustrated, I am desperate to get some more help for him and for the family and feel like I just keep on hitting roadblocks. Any tips for how to get him help?

I know this road can be unnecessarily long - but you'll get there. 

Is this to a private evaluator? If so, get a referral to another evaluator. It is possible that the one who received the initial referral has a sub specialty and deals with a different patient population that your son would not fit into. Talk to the pediatrician - they should know more than one person who does this type of thing. 

As for the information from the teacher, send her an email giving her a deadline (no more than a few days at this point) - i.e. "I know you're busy, so I just wanted to remind you that I need Johnny's paperwork back by Tuesday. I'll come in right after school ends to pick it up."  If it isn't ready when you go in, tell her that you'll wait while she fills it out. 

Overall, when advocating for your child, polite firmness is the starting point. Also, know what you want (in this case an evaluation), why you want it and be prepared to articulate it both orally and in writing. Throw in an extra strong dose of perseverance and you'll be on the right track. 

I don't know where you live, but in NJ there's something called Performcare for kids who have or could have developmental disabilities and their families. They can help decide on and coordinate evaluations and therapies, especially for people who couldn't afford it otherwise. I wonder if there's something like that where you live. Many people in NJ don't even know this program exists.

Thanks for all of the advice! I am so relieved- we were able to get the paperwork from his teacher and get an appt with the dr, everyone recommends for ASD and similar issues in just a few weeks. We are so ready to get a diagnosis and get some more help for him (: As for the psychologist, we have a meeting to discuss things with him the day after the dr appt. It is good to have hope again.