Menu

what's the benefit of memorizing history?

Well, my kids are kind of young ... but I don't make them memorize events/dates.  I'd much rather be memorizing poetry :p or Bible verses.

But perhaps your free memory cards could be used as a timeline?  I do like timelines, for allowing children to see how things happen within the broad scope of history and in relation to other events...

My kids memorize the Veritas Press history card titles in order. This benefits them by giving them a mental timeline to sort new (to them) historical information into, and those "memory pegs" SWB wrote about collecting in TWTM. Through the course of studying history with them they add gobs of facts and stories to hang on those pegs, and can usually tell me the basics of each card years later.

this is one of those things i don't agree with. and i'm not trying to start a debate. i would only use them with the topics we're studying so they're memorized in context.

My kids memorize the Veritas Press history card titles in order. This benefits them by giving them a mental timeline to sort new (to them) historical information into, and those "memory pegs" SWB wrote about collecting in TWTM. Through the course of studying history with them they add gobs of facts and stories to hang on those pegs, and can usually tell me the basics of each card years later.

This. In all 12 years of PS (and in high school these were honors classes), I had only one teacher (grade 11) who required any memorization-- but you know what? Those 50+ "pegs" (American history dates, in this case) have stuck with me (many of them, at least!), while everything else from my very disjointed history/social studies education has long since faded into mental oblivion. And these pegs served me well into college and beyond, so I'm thankful for that one teacher and his old-school approach, and only wish that all of world history had been taught to me the same way.

And without doubt, I want to be certain my own children are given this opportunity.