Menu

What do I need to do Classical Conversations at home?

SoCal Sandra

I'd like to use CC memory work to reinforce what dss 8 are learning. When I e-mailed CC they told me to use Foundations, but I am not sure if I should order just the audio CDs or if I should get both the audios and the Power Point memory CDs.

I already have the VP history flashcards, but I see that CC has its own flashcards as well. Are they really worth getting if we play the audio faithfully and perhaps use the Power Point memory CDs?

Also, for those using CC on their own at home, how do you implement it? So far I'm just planning on listening to the audio CDs and having dss recite the information, but I am open to other ideas. TIA everyone!

We used it at home last year, and while I had the audio CD, we really never used it. The Foundations book is the most important thing, I think. It has all three years of the foundations cycle in it.

I typed all of the history and science sentences in a word document and printed a copy for each of my children. They keep it in their binder, and each week they have to tell me that weeks' sentences as well as all of the previous weeks. It has really been a high retention, low work subject for us. I haven't had them learn the VP cards yet, but since they do them every year, I figured that we'd wait until this year. I bought my card set from CC a while back, but they were just the regular VP cards. Have they changed?

HTH,

--Dawn

We used it at home last year, and while I had the audio CD, we really never used it. The Foundations book is the most important thing, I think. It has all three years of the foundations cycle in it.

I typed all of the history and science sentences in a word document and printed a copy for each of my children. They keep it in their binder, and each week they have to tell me that weeks' sentences as well as all of the previous weeks. It has really been a high retention, low work subject for us. I haven't had them learn the VP cards yet, but since they do them every year, I figured that we'd wait until this year. I bought my card set from CC a while back, but they were just the regular VP cards. Have they changed?

HTH,

--Dawn

I have been doing CC for 3 years with a group. If my kids were to stop going, or we enrolled them in school, I would still do the audio CDs, the book, and the history cards. We havent really used the powerpoint cd.

CC sells both the VP timeline cards and their own new set of flash cards for the rest of the memory work (all except timeline and bible). They are not necessary, just helpful if you like to use flashcards for review and/or games. Given the time you could make these yourself.

The powerpoint CD is also not needed. I find it helpful though. I like my kids view it on their own. I can print pages from it instead of making my own. It also has some other resources on it.

The audio is also not needed but we find it very helpful. Then again, my kids seem to learn well with it... not all kids do. My son said, "I can learn anything if you put it to music!"

What's "needed"? The Foundations guide and the VP timeline cards. The rest is offered to make it easier or more fun.

hth

Kathie

CC Tutor going on year 2