Menu

Has anyone done an open house style party for a milestone birthday?

FairClaire

DH will be celebrating one of those big birthdays ending in a "0" this year.  I want to do something special for him, but I am short on time and energy with homeschooling and all of my other responsibilities.  I am not naturally good at hosting and don't enjoy large groups of people, but he does.  I have been trying to think about how I can still make the day special for him (and keep it a surprise) without pushing myself past my limits.

Here is what I came up with:

Rent a nice community room/banquet hall nearby so I don't have to worry about getting my house ready.

Purchase cupcakes/dessert selection from local bakery so I don't have to make food 

Enlist the help of DH's siblings and parents to help with decorating, hosting, and helping with my kiddos

Do an open house style party so I won't have to have as many planned activities/game type stuff

Here are my questions:

Is it okay to only serve cake/desserts + drinks if I don't have the party at a meal time?

Can I integrate the open house style party with a surprise party? (thinking I will put on the invitation to arrive between 2:30 and 2:45 if guests want to be part of the surprise (DH arriving at 3:00) or come any time after 3:15 for example) 

What activities should I have for the guests to do that come early to wait and surprise DH?  Do I need any activities/games for duration of party?

What should I do for decorations/theme/displays?  I don't want anything cheesy or overly themed...DH doesn't like that kind of stuff

Everything you suggested looks good to me.  My mother had an open house birthday party for my sister's 50th birthday and it went very well.  It was a lot easier with people coming at different times and everyone sat around talking so she didn't feel like she had to keep them entertained all the time.  She also avoided meal time and just had cake and icecream.  If she is up to it, she will probably do the same thing for my 50th in October.

My Dh will be 40 this year and I had similar ideas. I love the hall idea but I could never get away with not having real food. Even for family birthday parties, we have food food! How about finger foods? Lol. I think I would splurge on a little alcohol for the guests who show up early...help them relax a little (unless you have a personal objection to alcohol.) a little wine can go a long way. Don't buy too much and when its gone, its gone.

You could play Bunko, that's super easy to learn and fun. Have a drawing for some special prize. You could put up a giant poster board, a nice journal, or a write-able photo frame that everyone can sign. On a table, throw his high school or college yearbook. Set up pics of his long time buddies, patents, family, or anyone else who will attend. Have a good buddy say a few words and a toast. And you, the love of his life, should say something too. ;)

As decorations, you could incorporate his fave hobbies: camouflage, Duck Dynasty, football team, etc. As background music set up an Ipod with his favorite playlist.

Ok, those are my ideas. I hope they're not too lame. Lol. I thought of my hubby, he doesn't like to be the center of attention nor does he want a fuss made over him like your hubby.

Or ditch all that and go to a favorite sports bar and reserve some tables. Having at someone's home would probably be the most comfortable. HTH!

Yep, you've got good ideas. I'd add a veggie tray and some fruit to the cupcakes for those who are cutting back on sweets. A nice punch and some coffee would round things up nicely. We did a come and go reception for my MIL's 80th...a variety of cookies on plates and platters, some fat pumpkins (October) for table centerpieces and table cloths borrowed from a church. Lemonade and tea. Very simple and fun.

I think photos are great décor. Have a (couple) long tables with a cloth then pile on photos--loose, in books, on table top easels. Show every decade of his life.

Choose a room to have your party that is slightly smaller than you think you need...a big room can feel empty, even with many people there. Smaller one, filled with people, is warmer and friendlier.

An open house is a come and go type affair usually--no much need for games, speeches, or other activities. Conversation, photos, and hugs will be entertainment enough.

Have FUN!

Yep, you've got good ideas. I'd add a veggie tray and some fruit to the cupcakes for those who are cutting back on sweets. A nice punch and some coffee would round things up nicely. We did a come and go reception for my MIL's 80th...a variety of cookies on plates and platters, some fat pumpkins (October) for table centerpieces and table cloths borrowed from a church. Lemonade and tea. Very simple and fun.

I think photos are great décor. Have a (couple) long tables with a cloth then pile on photos--loose, in books, on table top easels. Show every decade of his life.

Choose a room to have your party that is slightly smaller than you think you need...a big room can feel empty, even with many people there. Smaller one, filled with people, is warmer and friendlier.

An open house is a come and go type affair usually--no much need for games, speeches, or other activities. Conversation, photos, and hugs will be entertainment enough.

Have FUN!

We've been to quite a few of these lately.  They were all done in this style.  I've heard Sams has some decent, large finger food or appetizer type trays.  You can order these from the grocery store and Jason's Deli in advance also.  I would add some savory-style, fruit/veggie food to the list.  Shouldn't need games for a come-and-go.  Music would be good or a photo slide show with music (could pick iconic music from each decade, etc but requires more time to assemble).  Stream Pandora is an option.  Photos are good in frames or even an album that can be thumbed through.  Your idea about the surprise aspect worded on the invite is great.