Menu

Is TOG enough?

sseale

This is my first year homeschooling and I pieced our curriculum together with the help of a couple friends and hours of research. We started with limited funds this last year so I didn't consider anything like TOG. But this year since I'm planning ahead I can. I'm still nervous though that my kids are getting everything they need. Anyone who uses TOG what else do you add besides math, science, and art?

I think it depends on the ages of your children. Elementary would require grammar, spelling, math, and science. TOG has a writing component that you can use if you want. I'm not using it since we are still working on reading skills. Even after reading is solid, I'll be using something else for my writing program. I don't think it covers music but I'm still in the ancients so it might hit some major composers once we get to that time period.

It is obviously thorough in history. It has good geography and literature components. It contains an art and activities section that is more craft-like than actual art instruction but you could use it as your art component in the younger years. I love the Bible and church history component. In upper levels, it also adds government and worldview components.

You can download the first 3 weeks of year 1 from their site and work through it to see how it fits your family. I found that to be really helpful in making my decision.  My favorite part is all the levels being included.  I plan to use TOG all the way through high school repeating each level 3 times.  That is worth the money for me! Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in for you since I've only been using it a few months but I love it so far.

Yes, it would help to know the ages of your children.  My oldest is almost 9yo, and in addition to what you mentioned, we also add spelling, grammar, and writing.  I have TOG WriteAids, but I do not like it for elementary children.  We are also adding foreign language.  With older children, I would think that the only thing you would want to add would be the foreign language if you wanted that.  

Preschoolers - they're 3 and 4 years old. I'm pretty relaxed about what we do.

Phonics, Math, Handwriting, TOG and Science

2nd - 5th grade (Once they're beyond phonics)

Spelling, Grammar, Math, Science

Optional: Penmanship (you could easily work on penmanship and writing in context of TOG), Latin or a foreign language

6th-8th grade

Vocabulary, Grammar, Math, Science

Optional: Logic, Latin/foreign languages

9th-12th grade

English is almost entirely TOG: Literature, accountability questions, discussions, literary analysis papers (I try for at least 1 a quarter) I add grammar for 9th and 10th graders.

History is entirely TOG: History readings, discussions, writing assignments, all maps & geography work

Fine Arts: TOG + Art Classes + trips to local museum

Possible Government & Philosophy credits

Add Science, Math, Foreign languages

HTH!

Thank you fro the feedback. My ds is 8 and finishing 2nd and my dd is 5 and finishing kinder. It sounds like for us it would really only replace our history in the elementary level but may be beneficial when they get older and need government. For history this year we have been using The Mystery of History and have been liking it for the most part. Some days I think I enjoy it more than they do.  

Thank you fro the feedback. My ds is 8 and finishing 2nd and my dd is 5 and finishing kinder. It sounds like for us it would really only replace our history in the elementary level but may be beneficial when they get older and need government. For history this year we have been using The Mystery of History and have been liking it for the most part. Some days I think I enjoy it more than they do.  

To be honest, if you're enjoying Mystery of History and it gets done, you're probably best sticking with it for now. :001_smile: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)