Menu

Resources for learning Thai?

Tardis Girl

One of my older daughters is going to be living in Thailand as a missionary for 1.5 years and I find myself wondering about learning Thai. She will be learning Thai -- a kickstart of a few weeks of direct instruction and then living there immersed in the people and culture. But we are looking forward to learning some as well -- obviously not like she will. lol

Can anyone recommend resources for learning Thai? Speaking, listening, writing, culture, whatever. I know it will be a challenge! I was hoping to find something like DuoLingo (they don't offer Thai), but am open to anything at all, at this point.

Thanks!

When we were considering moving to Thailand to teach English, we got Thai for Beginners.  There is a book and a CD and it gets really good reviews.  We didn't end up going, so I'm not sure how well it works long term, but the part I used seemed excellent.  My kids at the time were really young and would give people directions in Thai.  It was cute.

Publisher's Web Site

Book

CD

There's also an intermediate and advanced level, but we never got that far.  

There is also Thai on Mango Languages, which many library systems offer for free.  I dabbled a bit with that one also.

Have fun learning!!