Menu

What exactly is Alcumus?

They give you a problem.  You solve it.

It is organized by level and topic, aligned with the texts.  It's great for review whether or not you are using the AoPS texts.  You can achieve various levels of mastery of a particular topic.  After you answer, the full solution is presented.

There are points to earn and such, though I've never looked closely at that aspect.

Just don't sign yourself up late at night and "just try one" problem.  Have scratch paper handy so that you don't try to do ridiculous things in your head.

IIRC, signing kids up under 13 requires a fax or mailed permission form.

It's free.

Alcumus is a great, free online learning system for math. It's also somewhat addictive if you are math-inclined.

You do have to sign up with an account, but AoPS does not bother you with emails or anything else. As pp poster said, you must send in written permission for younger kids to create an account. I first made an account for me and then my two oldest boys.

Alcumus gives you a problem and you have two tries to get it correct. I encourage everyone to read the solution regardless of whether you got the problem correct or incorrect because you can learn lots from the solution. Depending on how many you miss or get correct Alcumus will move you along to new topics quickly or more slowly. It will also throw in some random hard problems and build in some review of topics already mastered.

Alcumus starts with prealgebra and moves up from there.