Menu

Mad at myself. Maybe. Testing related.

Penguin

I did not choose to have my 7th grader take the SAT or the ACT in January. And now I am wondering if that was a mistake.

I did not have him take it because:

• I think it would have seriously stressed him out. The nearest testing center is in Copenhagen, which is very far from where we live. There would have been a big build-up...the travel, finding the test center, etc. Walking into a room filled with 17 year-olds and taking a three-hour test...
  • It seemed unlikely that we would be in the USA to take advantage of Hopkins or Duke programs.
Well, now we might go to the USA for the summer. We have family/friends in both MD and NC that we could stay with. And he may have qualified. So now I have a twinge of regret.

I think that I could arrange a proctored SCAT test here in Denmark, and Hopkins accepts that test.

I am not sure that I am asking for advice or just whining,but I would accept advice :)

There are lots of great academic camps that are not through CTY or Tips that don't rely on SAT scores. I personally think they are too expensive for what your get.

Cogito.org has a list of camps, so does AoPS wiki, though it is much easier to search if you know what you are looking for in a camp (math, writing, archeology, etc.)

Thanks for the responses.  The next international SAT date is in May, and I don't think that the ACT is even available in Denmark.  So I just have to let it go.

Anyway, my original reasons for not doing the test were good ones.  I might look at scheduling the SCAT.  We could do that locally, and it is shorter. 

Just to let you know in case you aren't aware--the SCAT has a bit of a bizarre format.

I'm not sure this will help or not, but just it case it might. . .

Lily has attended one of those camps. The good news is she had fun and made some stay-in-touch friends, but I would imagine that could be said of many camps that cost quite a bit less.

So far, we haven't signed her up for one this summer, although we have given it a great deal of thought. In the end we may change our minds, but I don't think that not doing them would be much of a loss at all. In fact, the time and money may end up being spent on much better opportunities, even if they are less glittery.

I know for some the camps are life-changing, but I just don't think that's true for everyone. I really struggle with what I had expected and what it was.

(In case anyone is wondering, I hadn't expected construction paper, pipe cleaners, foam balls, etc. to play such a role.  :blink:  <_<  :confused1:  

We aren't crafty learners, but perhaps many gifted children are?  There seemed to be quite a bit of emphasis on creativity--and not the kind of creativity we strive for in our studies. I keep thinking I'm missing some grande scheme of learning, but I also know I wasn't the only parent a bit bewildered and disappointed. Perhaps the camps for teens are different. I would certainly hope so.)

ETA: Not all camps are created equal. I would probably give a different answer now. No construction paper and glitter this year... :coolgleamA:

I find myself agreeing with WMA a lot lol. FWIW, we've done only one proper summer camp and it was online (Euclid Lab). The life changing ones (at least the ones that will offer transforming experiences for my kiddo) are too expensive and far away atm and we are saving up for him to be able to attend them but will only be able to afford maybe at most two over the next 4-5 years.

Sometimes, I too feel like he is not getting experiences other kids are but the feeling wears away when I see him happy anyway. Our summers are filled with what he loves to do best: more math, at home, with his mentor or through other means. Lots of books to read, playdates with dear friends and a sleepover or two, making things with Dad and cooking different dishes with me. The only thing he frowns at sometimes is the extra physical exercise we require. :)

Truthfully, this was all a bit silly on my part.  My FB feed from last weekend was peppered with friends from back home talking about their 7th graders taking the SAT, and I started second guessing myself.  If we get to go to the USA this summer, DS would probably balk at the idea of spending his time at any camp! Time to :chillpill: .

I have found that listening to the "mom voice" in the back of my head works out the best in the end. The SAT is stressful regardless of your age, even if you don't include the travel/waiting/prep. Sometimes I forget to allow my son the ability to be a kid instead of a gifted kid. He is going to be gifted regardless of what I do, but I can allow him the ability to have silly childhood experiences without the stress and pressure of constantly maximizing every learning opportunity. After all, he is never going to be "normal" but least he can moments when he forgets that.