Menu

Trail Guide to Geography

mc26

I am using the world version of this. My kids are 6 and 8. I think perhaps because of their ages I struggled with it at the beginning of the year. Let me offer some things that have helped. First, you really do need a very good atlas. I started off with a $2 Scholastic one I bought used and it just didn't cut it. My stress level has dropped since I "splurged" for the $8 used Usborne one.  LOL. Second is I am really not a fan of the Uncle Josh's blackline maps. I do have an older set, and maybe that is the problem. Honestly since we use them weekly I would rather have them electronically.  I do believe they sell a CD version of the Uncle Josh's but I am not sure if they are updated from what I have. We just unbound the book and scanned it and use those for my kids. However, some of the rivers are not consistent with our atlas and sometimes I just want something with the countries pre marked. I recently purchased a set of outline maps from Scholastic during their $1 sale. It is an e-book so I can easily print. Also the countries are labeled on some of the maps. Since your kids seem to be older, I think you will likely not have this problem.  The other thing is you will find the Trail Guide has references to the Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide. You can get on without it, but I suspect that as my kids get older I will be using it more and more. 

So in case I am not clear in order to use Trail Guide you will need:  a set of good blackline maps and a good quality atlas. Other books it will refer to but you do not have to buy are:  Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide and Geography Through Art.

They do sell a CD with the Trail Guide to World Geography. I am not sure what is on it. 

There is a CD with the Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide. Unfortunately I did not find the maps on there helpful either.

I would say this curriculum is pretty secular, although they do sell a Trail Guide to Bible Geography. I can't say I have seen Bible references yet in our current (world geography) book.

We use the US one.

Secular as far as I can tell.

Definitely get a good atlas! (Or more than one)

I have the student notebook pages (download). They make it so easy and user friendly. We do the map, read about the state, and do notebook pages. We are doing 1 state per week. It's been fun and interesting and very easy to do. And I'll admit right now that we are not doing any added projects!

But my dd is memorizing all state capitals and locations (we still them every day) and she's learning and remembering fun facts about each state. It's been perfect for 2nd grade!