Menu

Inspiring novels involving pianos

Kerrie in VA

All three of my sons starting taking piano lessons two years ago with Irina Gorin, who had moved here from the Ukraine with her young family. She has an amazing approach with young students and gives special attention to arm movements and supple wrists. She has many videos on You Tube of lessons and performances that are inspiring to watch and hear.

I have also returned to practicing the piano so I can accompany my sons in duets as a way to encourage more practice time together. I thoroughly enjoy my experience with the piano this time around. We obtained an old Yamaha U3 (a 53" tall upright) and I love the rich authoritative sound.

I started reading books about pianists for inspiration.

The Piano Shop on the Left Bank -- my favorite offering history of composers, manufacturers, and the author's experiences of early childhood in France taking lessons, later moving to a private school in the U.S., then returning to France with his own family and returning to study piano. Interesting slice of culture and the old craftsmen.

Grand Obssession- a Piano Odyssey -- about sound frequencies and qualities of wood.

Piano seasons-a memoir--Austalian pianist Anna Goldsworthy

A Romance on Three Legs--Glenn Gould

Body and Soul --by Frank Conroy

Does anyone have other favorite reads with music or recent favorite books where the people stayed with you long after you finished the book?