Menu

Experience with VT please look here:

Sorry for the long post! I'm not surprised with some of the results. My 11 yr old son has dyslexia, APD, and dysgraphia.

The conclusions are as follows:

Skill deficiencies

-deficiencies of Saccadic eye movement

-deficiencies of pursuit eye movement

-general binocular vision dysfunction

He has the following primary weakness in these areas:

-visual spatial skills(laterality/directionality(may cause letter/number or word reversals

-visual Analysis Skills

-visual memory

-visual sequential memory(may cause difficulty with remembering the alphabet order, how to spell)

-visual closer(may cause difficulty filling in story details)

-visual motor integration(eye-hand coordination)(May cause difficulty with handwriting and copying from board)

-visual simultaneous processing(difficulty getting the big picture, reading comprehension, visual spatial skills)

-speed of information processing(may cause slow or dysfluent reading)

-visual sequential processing-(difficulty with ordering of information in a serial manner necessary for early reading and decoding, verbal analytical skills)

Secondary perceptual deficiency/weakness

-automaticity(may cause difficulty in reading sight words quickly)

-Auditory Visual Integration(may cause difficulty when people read aloud and trying to follow the passage visually at the same time)

Recommendations

Activities will be structured to improve his perceptual and visual skills so that he will be able to process and organize information more rapidly and efficiently in a learning environment. Activities will also be structured to improve eye tracking, eye sight, and binocular(eye teaming) function. Each session will be scheduled for 45 min every week and child is expected to complete his home visual assignments. Therapy will proceed much quicker if homework is done on a daily basis. If the therapist feels homework is not being done the therapist has right to stop the therapy.

Well at least VT tends to be finite, where ST can go on and on...  Maybe take the ST to once a week while you're doing the VT?  Any time estimates?  How kids do with it really varies.  Some people get really tired and headachy with the therapy sessions and grouchy about their homework.  If that's the case, it might be helpful to cut back on other things, including academics and some of the other therapy, just to keep it sane.

We did our VT when dd was 11 btw.  Now it seems like a distant memory.  Glad you're able to get it done.  :)

Glad we are able to get it done as well😃.

My son has speech on M/W for an hour each session. It's about 45 min total car time there and back home. The VT office is right down the street from ST. It's about 50 min(no traffic) total car time there and back home.

I know we will be able to get through it!

At times I feel a little overwhelmed about not getting everything I planned done school wise. I also have a 9yr old in the mix.

We didn't do ANY formal school stuff when we were doing VT, and the world did not end.  Put on some read alouds while you drive and do field trips.  We were tired after the therapy sessions, so she often just wanted to nap.  I'd drive somewhere for a surprise and she'd sleep on the way.  We did caverns and historical sites and just had adventures.  

Ditch the school work.  The world won't end.  Second thought, try to get math done if you can, lol.  :)  Other than that though, I wouldn't stress a lot.  My dd went through a huge uptick after VT, where things just started clicking.