Menu

Interactive Mathematics Program?

Just for fun, this quote is something I used in an email that I sent to a school administrator a while back when math programs were being considered (note that IMP was revised in 2008, after the time of this quote from Bas Braams of Emory University advising incoming DPS superintendent Michael Bennet in 2005; emphasis added):

IMP is a completely degenerate high school mathematics curriculum, and it illustrates the defects of modern reform trends in mathematics education without any need for comparison with any other program; its faults are glaring enough to impress at once even a casual observer.  So I urge you to requisition your own copy of IMP Volume 1, which is meant for 9th grade.  Then just leaf through the pages.  Try to find a mathematical expression.  Try to find as much as an equals sign.  There may be 20 or 25 equals signs in the whole book, and they are not necessarily attached to even beginning algebra.  The topics are haphazard and I have the sense that after a year of IMP-1 a student might as well cycle through the same text again the next year, because nothing systematic is built up.  If you have a look at this text, and I very much hope that you will, then it should be completely apparent that this kind of mathematics curriculum is not going to help a student towards a college education in any field which mathematics plays a role.  And to offer a traditional text if you do want to have something to compare with: take Dolciani's pre-calculus "Modern Introductory Analysis" and ask yourself how a student could possibly get from IMP Volume 1 in 9th grade to this classic text in 11th or 12th grade.  It can't be done.