Menu

If you've used Art of Poetry from Classical Academic Press for middle school. . .

Tell me about it. Once a week, daily, what? Together, or with the student working independently? I am thinking once a week or twice a month, DD and me reading together and doing it orally, taking a couple of years if need be, maybe 20-30 minutes at a session. Little written output, just a few things to throw in the portfolio. Poetry isn't her favorite; I would like to cover the material without it being burdensome or too tedious. I would love to know what it actually looked like in your house.

We did portions of it. I'd recommend buying the TE as it's very helpful. I really liked that it was about appreciating poetry instead of dissecting it to death. You could spread the book out over a few years. We only did portions because ds really doesn't like poetry and we had covered it previously in other ways. The books are well written and you don't really need to understand poetry yourself to teach if you use the TE. 

Awesome -- thanks EL! I saw that someone else did just buy the TE; I am thinking about doing that. It's just a small supplement, so I don't really want to spend $40 on it y'know? And I'm less interested in a challenge than I am in a supplemental exposure to appreciation and a bit of analysis, so the TE sounds like it'll work fine.