Menu

Chemistry

We just finished Elemental Science Grammar Chemistry.

I want to do more Chemistry to kind of make sure it sticking. I am not sure how much retention occurred with that curriculum.

I have three kids-two 6th graders and a fourth grader who struggles with retention. 

So here is what I have as options:

1) Ellen McHenry Elements

2) ACS Middle School Chemistry

3) ACS Inquire In Action

4) Elemental Science Logic Chemistry

What do you all recommend?

Ellen McHenry has been incredibly popular at our house!  It's a perfect mix of serious content, accessible writing, and fun activities and games.

:iagree:

We are using this right now (thanks to suggestions from the board  :thumbup: ) and ds11 *loves* this program.   We used Elemental Physics before this, and are moving back to Elemental Logic Stage Biology after McHenrys.  We are very happy with this Chemistry program and *highly* recommend it.

Adding: I am not familiar with the others on your list, except for Elemental, but know this is a keeper! 

Is there a lesson plan for the mchenry's chemistry-like what activities what days or how many activities a day or just go for how many you can in a day?

I am looking at it right now and it seems really slim compared to Elemental Science Chemistry which was LOADED. 

Any outside books recommended to read with it?

How long did it take your family to get through it? 

Do you recommend McHenry;s Carbon Chemistry before moving on to the Logic one?

I think there were 8 chapters in the Elements and 10 in Carbon chemistry. We did one chapter a week --- something like this: Read on Monday, did activities from student guide on Tuesdays, did activities or games or labs on Wednesday, watched videos on Thursday, did other chemistry stuff on Fridays -- read Chemical Chaos, watched Periodic Table of Videos, watched Crash Course Chemistry, read Poisoner's handbook (and watched it). We've delved into other chemistry like unit conversions and balancing equations and different reactions, etc...,but McHenry's materials were really awesome. Not comprehensive, but definitely worthwhile.

Blessed3x:

how was Elemental Physics?

Did you grammar or logic ? Or both? Review?

Hi Happycc:

Both ds11 and I enjoyed the Grammar Elemental Physics.  He does not enjoy writing a lot, but did ok with the notebooking part; it was not too much. The experiments were his favorite part, of course!

I feel it is a good, solid program.  After the Elements by McHenry, we have Logic Stage Biology ready to begin.  :001_smile:

If you have specific questions feel free to PM me.