Menu

Integrated Science for Middle School?

Any suggestions for an integrated middle school science experience?  DS loves science, and said he would rather not just focus on just one branch next year..  Textbooks are great with him, as long as they are engaging.  I do have McHenry's Elements and I just downloaded Mr. Q's Advanced Bio: Anatomy & Physiology from the sale, so that is a start.

From a quick glance I liked the look of the Holt Science & Technology texts, but I would have to get all 3 and then basically do 1/3 of each.  I was also looking at some of the MBTP science units and the TOPS rocks & minerals one.

Any other suggestions?  

Thanks!

I am using the Prentice Hall Science Explorer series (Discoveries, Investigations, and Adventures in Life, Earth, and Physical science) with my daughter and she is enjoying it immensely.  I don't have her use it in the typical manner, though, filling out the study guide and writing out the answers to all the chapter questions and whatnot...that would be rather tedious.  We chose four of the six units in the first book to study for the year (two life science, one chemistry, and one physics); she reads through the unit one section per day (and watches the introductory and field trip videos that accompany the series for each chapter), does any experiments that we have the materials for, discusses everything that she finds interesting with me, and then reads books from the library on the same topic for several weeks until the quarter is finished out and she moves on to the next unit.

Thanks! I am having trouble finding a link to Galore Park Science though.  The UK site was not working for me and it doesn't look like Horrible Ray had them on his site.

Try these links.  On the left side under Quick Links, click on "download sample pages".

So You Really Want to Learn Science book 1

ISBN 9781902984216

So You Really Want to Learn Science book 2

ISBN 9781902984377

There are also answer keys, etc.  I bought mine used on Amazon.

ETA - also added the student book ISBNs in case the above links don't work for you.  HTH!