Menu

Jousting Armadillos concurrent with Singapore 5?

rzberrymom

Xposted over at the Accelerated Learner board, but I'm new to this and think this forum may have made more sense...

Singapore has worked really well for my kiddo. She's about 3/4 of the way through 5A, and we use IP, CWP, MEP and even some Life of Fred thrown in to make sure we're covering everything.

But, she's bored by Singapore 5. She flies through the work, and we're really just kind of going through the motions at this point. She does understand that she has to cover all this stuff and is not resisting, but she's been begging me to start on pre-A. She'll say things like "these word problems are making me do a little algebra...I know I'm doing it mom...come on, let me start algebra..."

So, would Jousting Armadillos be ok to start before she finishes Singapore 5? And then she could finish 5 more slowly while she starts on JA. Or would we quickly get into trouble because she hasn't covered certain things yet?

She loooooves Penrose the Mathematical Cat, and from what I've seen of the sample problems, Jousting Armadillos seems to have the same feel to it. But, would there be something better than JA to do with a kid like this? Thank you thank you!

Yes, I hesitated to answer over there because we used MM, not Singapore.  But if she wants to do preA, it's a great, gentle way to start.  I have found that there are areas where my dd needs extra practice, and so we use MM6 in part alongside JA, as needed.  There are also things JA doesn't cover:  no geometry, no statistics/probability, no square roots, no decimals.  Not a lot of pracitce on things like percents and fractions outside of the context of working with variables.  So I'd definitely do it alongside, not instead of.