Menu

Tell Me about Harmony Fine Arts

Hunter

Tell me more about Harmony Fine Arts. Does it get done? Is it worth getting done?

How usable is it without purchasing any of the suggested hardcopy books, and only using what can be used from a tablet? Are there any blogs by anyone who is overseas, or on a boat, or something and has no access to the hardcopy books?

I'm not sure if I can answer this completely, because 1) I am not using it, and 2) I don't have it in my possession. However, last year I went through each year's syllabus and matched it up with the books I had and some online resources. I will be honest and say despite my good intentions and a very robust spreadsheet matching up each artist with the books I have, I have not gotten to it at all.  We are still doing Artistic Pursuits and piano so they are not getting zero art instruction.  

Here are a couple online resources I found that are helpful for the art aspect:

Google Art Project:  look up by artist or by name of composition  http://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/project/art-project

Concordia University Art Lessons by Artist and by grade level  http://www.cuchicago.edu/artlessons

Adventures in art e-curriculum (I got this when it was free. Not sure of cost now.) http://www.cornerstonecurriculum.com/Curriculum/Art/art.htm

For composers try the classics for kids website. They have a page for each composer. There are also lesson plans for many of the composers. There are info sheets on different instruments on makingmusicfun.net. There are also "Hey  kids, it's _________" biographies on that site for different composers. Pulling together the music is a challenge I have not yet conquered. We have a number of CDs here and I have noted which composers we have music for versus not. I have not noted any free music access websites, although I am guessing such may exist.

I'm not sure if I can answer this completely, because 1) I am not using it, and 2) I don't have it in my possession. However, last year I went through each year's syllabus and matched it up with the books I had and some online resources. I will be honest and say despite my good intentions and a very robust spreadsheet matching up each artist with the books I have, I have not gotten to it at all.  

Well, that doesn't sound promising that this will be the thing that helps me get my act together. :lol:

We have the grade 5-8 one on Ancient Art and the Orchestra.  I have all the books (there was some overlap with our history books), but we are  not doing the Artistic Pursuits option.  I'm doing it with grades 3, 4, and 8.

It doesn't get done consistently. :glare:

Part of it is because there IS so much overlap with our history program, I ended up rearranging the readings, taking some out, adding some other things in.  The notebooking pages are ok, but my kids have preferred to simply create their own pages and sketches on plain paper.

Part of it is just personal logistics---it's just a pain to gather everyone around the computer to go to this or that link to read a short article or view a picture or whatever.  Our cd player broke, so I was using the DVD player to play the music selections---the spine for the Orchestra part has an included cd and you are supposed to play a short selection to accompany each page in the book.  All this disrupts our flow, so we tend to skip the hyperlinks and dropped the Orchestra part for a while.  I got a laptop for Christmas, so I'm planning to try to pick all that up again. 

Part of it is that the kids and I have not been overly impressed with the books used or the level of the readings.  They are ok. 

Anyway, I regret the purchase.  It  would be possible to use the books and come up with your own schedule, but I think I would choose different books. ;)

The adventures in art is actually on sale for $70. It's not very clear from their website. I like it but I don't even know that I would pay $70 for it.  =)

I agree with the pp, one of the problems I had last year was that I had to be all over the internet looking things up. The adventures in art curriculum is nice in that it has embedded links for things. Again though, I didn't pay for it! 

My plan was just to briefly cover the artists and show works in books or online, and listen to composers. I didn't plan any notebooking or anything. My kids do enough writing otherwise and I would certainly have a mutiny on my hands if I tried that.  

I almost forgot--I also have Classical Music for Dummies.  I cross referenced that against the Harmony scope for music. Are you interested to see my spreadsheets? I can email them to you if you PM me your address.

I wouldn't be using any of the hardcover books. I self-educate and tutor almost primarily form my iPad Mini and android phone.

I'm wondering if the scheduling and some of the links would be worth the price, to provide--I don't know--some structure, some pegs to hang whatever I find online and in my eBooks.

The adventures in art is actually on sale for $70. It's not very clear from their website. I like it but I don't even know that I would pay $70 for it.  =)

I agree with the pp, one of the problems I had last year was that I had to be all over the internet looking things up. The adventures in art curriculum is nice in that it has embedded links for things. Again though, I didn't pay for it! 

My plan was just to briefly cover the artists and show works in books or online, and listen to composers. I didn't plan any notebooking or anything. My kids do enough writing otherwise and I would certainly have a mutiny on my hands if I tried that.  

I almost forgot--I also have Classical Music for Dummies.  I cross referenced that against the Harmony scope for music. Are you interested to see my spreadsheets? I can email them to you if you PM me your address.

Is Harmony just classical music, or does it include a wider variety of music?

I need to check if Classical Music for Dummies is an eBook.

If you were looking for classical and will be using only an iPad or phone, you might want to look at Classical Composers Monthly, which is online and link based:  http://classicalcomposersmonthly.com/

On the Harmony Art, just using the online resources---yes, you could, but I don't know that the price is justified.  You could try the sample to get a feel for it.