Menu

Nurse or pediatric nurse -- help???

mlktwins

Is there a nurse than\t can PM me to tell me how to help my son in the short term?  He is having bad upper thigh pain on his left leg (this is the second time since Friday am).  I called the Drs. office on Friday and described the symptoms.  The nurse spoke with our Dr. and he said if it continues, he will need to be seen.  I'm calling for an appt. first thing tomorrow.  In the meantime, I don't know how to help him.  I gave him some ibuprofen and we are waiting for that to take effect.  He doesn't want us to touch it, it is not swollen or red, and it hurts to straighten it (he prefers to keep his knees close to his body).  We think he is describing what it feels like when he has a Charlie horse in his calf, but it is his thigh, and he doesn't want us messing with it.  He doesn't want heat (we tried that) or ice (we have not tried that).  He woke up at 2 am Friday in pain and crying with the same pain.  He was able to straighten it about an hour after the ibuprofen kicked in that morning.  We had him take it easy on Friday and he was fine yesterday.  He's been fine all day today and all of a sudden, the pain is back.

Of course I'm worried sick (I should not have googled -- I know better), but I really want to make him comfortable.  Any suggestions?

Not a nurse but it sounds like something my ds has experienced. Our doctor says they are tight muscles and ds is currently going to a few sessions of physical therapy to help him learn to stretch his muscles. He would agree that this is quite painful! Ds says warm bath soaks help. They also recommended making sure he is well hydrated with water (drinking), try to increase his potassium intake, and do his exercises daily.HTH

Not a nurse but it sounds like something my ds has experienced. Our doctor says they are tight muscles and ds is currently going to a few sessions of physical therapy to help him learn to stretch his muscles. He would agree that this is quite painful! Ds says warm bath soaks help. They also recommended making sure he is well hydrated with water (drinking), try to increase his potassium intake, and do his exercises daily.HTH

Thanks so much for responding. The meds just kicked in and he will straighten his leg now. Trying to get him to take a warm bath. I don't think I've seen him cry in pain like that in his 8.5 years.

Low magnesium can cause muscle cramps as well, but because Magnesium and Potassium can affect the heart, I'd be cautious in giving him an actual supplement - maybe some foods that have natural, lower amounts of those? 

I'm glad he is starting to feel a little better!