Menu

Source for "Time" terms?

My 13 year old daughter is probably dyscalculic.  I assume this somehow ties to the fact that she has no sense of the passage of time.  Terminology for the passage of time has to be explicitly taught and I don't know that she truly understands the meaning behind those terms the way a NT child would. but at least when directly exposed to those terms and taught explicitly what they mean, she can sort of function normally with those terms.  I realize, though, that we are experiencing gaps.  For instance, today there was a reference to "2 days from now".  She did not understand that reference.  

We looked at a calendar and discussed what that means, but I realize that what I would like is some sort of master list of time references.  There are so many.  If I had a list, we could systematically review it and incorporate the terms into daily life so she will hopefully recognize those terms when they are used.  Does a list like that exist?  I picked up some time references in school and through instruction at home when I was little but most was just picked up over time as I grew up.  This method does not work for DD with regard to anything relating to time, especially the passage of time, but for other time terms too.

Hmm...never noticed one, but I can think up several time related terms off the top of my head.

second

minute

hour

day

week

forthnight

month

year

decade

century

age (as in, middle ages)

eons

20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s.

10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st century

bi-,tri-, anual

anual

annually

quarterly

quarter

month

monthly

weekly

daily

instant

moment

those are just terms, not even expressions. I would start doing some sort of daily "circle time" type activity where you look at a calendar, discuss the date, the day of the week and think about what a day from now, 2 days from now, a week from now, a month from now actually means....

This is something I have never thought about before, perhaps you could also ask her pediatrician for some ideas/suggestions?

Thanks for the response.  I appreciate it.  Every time I think I have a pretty good list, some other term comes up that she has no clue what to do with.  I was hoping for a one stop source for vocabulary related to time, and the passage of time, but I guess this isn't a very common problem at all...

And I never thought about it before, either.  It is a strange feeling when you realize your child does not sense time or truly understand the concept, and yet she is bright and articulate and very observant.

Thanks for the suggestion about the pediatrician.  Unfortunately, our pediatrician is nice, but she has extremely limited knowledge on learning differences.  I have had to educate her regarding dyslexia.  She thought it was only a vision issue and did not realize it is a neurological difference in processing.    She had never heard of dyscalculia.   I have found NO ONE in our area that is truly up on any learning differences based on current scientific research.  There are still a lot of people in this area that don't even believe learning differences exist.  Kids are just lazy, unfocused, defiant or stupid....heavy sigh.  Oh, well.