Menu

Spectrum Chemistry

Connections

I am thinking of doing Spectrum Chemistry with my DS1 in 8th grade next year as a conceptual chemistry course (he will take another chemistry course in high school.) I believe that my 7th grade DS2 will want to tag along with him.

(1) Do I need to buy 2 lab kits and

(2) Is it feasible for DS2 to tag along and get something out of it? He is more science minded than DS1 and both are capable of the reading and comprehension of ideas.

(3) Will I be able to list Spectrum Chemistry as a high school credit if, down the road, it makes sense to do so?

Thanks!

Thanks 8! Do you feel like there might be a maturity issue in being able to complete the Spectrum Chemistry labs?

This science stuff is making my head spin- especially because I am trying to plan out the high school years for both boys- with them taking the same subjects during the years we can overlap. They are only one grade apart!

My younger ds is using Spectrum now, in 7th grade, and my older ds used it before. I agree with 8 that you don't need two lab kits. We needed to reorder some stuff because my boys did not do it simultaneously, and older ds used up some of the components.

Is your DS2 advanced in math? I think it would be hard to do the chemistry without having had algebra.

It's actually my dh who has done the hands-on teaching, so if you have any other questions I can ask him.

I would consider using it as a high school credit only if the child decides they do not want to pursue a career which would need the intensive sciences - elementary school teacher, linguist, business major, etc.  Let's face it, many adults in our modern world need an exposure to chemistry, but they do not need in depth knowledge.  If you polled most people on this forum, I don't know how many could rattle off the periodic table, or truly discuss complex chemical reactions.  We all would probably be able to break down water, possibly explain what a noble gas is, define protons and neutrons, but in general that is the extent of most chemistry knowledge needed for many people.

I'd talk to your sons about what they think they may want to do.  If they don't know, then I'd keep a more formal high school, college preperatory chemistry course in the plan.