Menu

History cycle: beginning in the middle

As I am trying to figure out what we'll be doing for history next year, I am thinking I would like to jump into the history rotation. We've had a great year (well, still having) of early American history, but I don't particularly fancy another. But I have a question.

In order to keep her 'on track' so to speak, I'm thinking of starting in year 2 instead of Ancient. That is to say, I'm not worried about her being on track, but I want to be :lol:

Is it always better to start at the beginning? Does it really matter?

It is best to start stories at the beginning as the start effects the finish. That said lots of younger siblings just get folded in when at whatever level the older ones are at. Also you need not do a whole big thing about the ancients if you don't want to. Listen to SOTW1 on CD or just read a quick selection of egyption, Greek and roman mythology and fiction or factual picture books. Spend a week or two on each then move on if you want to. Note I am assuming young kids.

There is a good list of reading somewhere.

AO starts with Medieval history. My brain is just not working well tonight. My brain damage and PTSD kick in sometimes. But I do remember I listed some really good benefits for doing that, even beyond the ones AO explains. I just don't remember what they are. :confused1:

I know you are okay doing that. Maybe even better off doing that. I just don't remember why. Maybe I will tomorrow.