Menu

Math recommendations for 3/4th grade

Superfly

I need help trying to find the right curriculum for my almost 8 yr old for next year.  She has dysgraphia and suspected dyslexia, but still does pretty well with math.  This year she is doing LOF, TT3, Times Tales, and some misc. worksheets from Rod & Staff 2 and Miquon.  I like the way R&S teaches the triplets, and we use the bee posters for this.  She struggles with the Miquon math sheets.  I think they are too abstract for her. I thought that the TT3 would work well with the reading/writing issues, but she often still enters in her numbers transposed. We plan to continue LOF, but need something for more practice. Here is what I am looking for:

• Concrete math (no critical thinking problems)
  • Not too much writing
  • Easy to teach
  • Not too much planning
  • If workbook - Interesting, but not too busy
  • Has to have some visual way for DD to see her progress 

Any suggestions?

TIA!

Rod & Staff would be my vote (and drop the other stuff).  Or maybe Horizons math - it is a work book but not so busy as some.

Does it work for you to type in the answers for her in TT3 after she tells you out loud?  I think that scribing for her in some way is going to have to be part of how math gets done and that might be less work for you if she is doing well with the teaching style.

Rod & Staff would be my vote (and drop the other stuff).  Or maybe Horizons math - it is a work book but not so busy as some.

Does it work for you to type in the answers for her in TT3 after she tells you out loud?  I think that scribing for her in some way is going to have to be part of how math gets done and that might be less work for you if she is doing well with the teaching style.

Right now I let her enter in the answers in TT3, and then if she gets it wrong I help her enter it in correctly.  She gets frustrated with the program. I like the R & S, but worry it may be too much writing. Are the 3rd and 4th grade as much busy work as the 1st/2nd?   If I don't scribe for her, it would be too exhausting.  Both of my DDs have learning challenges, so I don't think scribing a large amount would be doable.  I think having her complete 1-2 pages per day would be good.  I don't mark wrong answers that I know she understood, but just wrote incorrectly.

I was looking at Horizons, but it seems interwoven with critical thinking problems.  I saw some in the samples.

I was looking at Math in Focus and MCP as possibilities, but without having them in my hands it is hard to tell.  Are you familiar with either of those?

Rod and Staff 3 and 4 aren't as repetitive as 2. We skipped swaths of 2, and 3 was a breath of fresh air in comparison. There is enough room to write directly in the 3 and 4 textbooks too.

I've used MCP before too. I would not get it for the DC you describe. It doesn't really explain why the math works, and leaves far too much space between reusing a previous concept.

• 4 weeks later...